Board logo

Why dry sump a F20C?
clutch_kick - 5/1/09 at 01:46 PM

What's the general consensus about dry sumping the Honda S2000 engine? Is it because the engine really needs it or because it is a tall engine?

If it is the later case, wouldn't a bonnet scoop/hump be a cheaper solution?

scootz - 5/1/09 at 01:55 PM

Purely a size issue. It's not any more susceptible to 'oil-surge' than any other modern engine. I'd DS it if I was competing with it on slicks, but leave it alone otherwise.

As for adding a bulge... depends on the layout of your chassis.

Overall, there are no problems with it that can't be quite easily overcome. Best starting point is just to offer the engine up to the chassis and take it from there...

scootz - 5/1/09 at 02:00 PM

Speak to These Guys... Very Knowledgable!

clutch_kick - 5/1/09 at 02:13 PM

Thanks scootz!! great website.

I'll hopefully be speaking with the guys at MNR regarding the engine. Curiosity overpowered me and I had to stick in a post lol.

I had to absolutely rule out the BEC idea unfortunately, and I did not like the cost figures I saw on the web to tune up a duratec engine, so it will have to be the Honda lump.

sorens2 - 5/1/09 at 02:17 PM

What about the possible bhp gains when you drysump ?
That´s a pretty good reason too.

Søren S2

pwl - 5/1/09 at 02:58 PM

I have the RED dry sump in the link above on my car, it is a very nice dry sump it fits perfect.

I got it for a peace of mind, when running the car on track with slicks.

The car develops high G forces on the track, for instants you must have the fuel tank minimum 1/3 full, otherwise the fuel supply will be interrupted in the corners.

The height advantage is only about 2 cm, because of the bell housing on the gearbox is lower than the dry sump. If you cut the bell housing you would gain about 4-5 cm.
The F20C fits the Vortx without a bonnet scoop and hangs about 4 cm under the bottom rail without a dry sump.

PWL

clutch_kick - 5/1/09 at 03:41 PM

Thanks PWL. Well bottom clearance is important since this car will be road registered. Plenty of potholes and speedbumps here.

Can you actually cut the bellhousing? That would be an idea.

pwl - 5/1/09 at 04:47 PM

Yes you can cut the bell housing on the transmission, the flywheel is above the bottom of the dry sump.

PWL

02GF74 - 5/1/09 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
What about the possible bhp gains when you drysump ?
That´s a pretty good reason too.

Søren S2

and what would those be? I'd have thought having the extra scavenging pumps would sap more engine power ....

MikeRJ - 5/1/09 at 05:17 PM

http://www.circletrack.com/techfaq/ctrp_0608_power_in_the_pump/index1.html

02GF74 - 5/1/09 at 06:09 PM

interesting but I am sceptical - a pump designed to move a liquid = oil able to create a vacuum?? maybe it can but ....

a vacuum cannot exceed 14 psi - that has to be several orders less that the pressure in the piston so the effect will be minimal I'd have thought.

the article makes no mention of the power required to drive the pumps.

sorens2 - 5/1/09 at 10:35 PM

I haven´t got any figures, but know a few engines where they only dry sumped it to get the extra bhp.
It´s like that bended plate to install under the crank.
That alone on a Lotus Elan gave us 4 bhp.

The pump will create a wacuum for sure.

Søren S2