Board logo

Silicone for mounting bike carbs?
FASTdan - 12/2/10 at 12:59 PM

What are peoples experience of this? I've read varying reports from the silicone pipe being fine after 2+ years, whilst others claiming after 1000 miles the silicone degrades and the carbs start to drop.....

Charlie_Zetec - 12/2/10 at 01:04 PM

I'd be interested in people's responces, too.

I've used blue silicon hose on my inlet manifold for my carbs, but it's the reinforced stuff designed to carry oil.

I understand that there may be issues surrounding it's use for IVA purposes as well - mainly in proving that it is suitable for the task. Anyone been through IVA yet with this setup?

twybrow - 12/2/10 at 02:18 PM

I would also be worried if you plan to find a lambda sensor, as they do not like silicone products....!

David Jenkins - 12/2/10 at 03:03 PM

I used the original bike's rubber tubes...

gdp66 - 12/2/10 at 03:37 PM

i have the blue silicone , but not sure of the type as purchased via chester sports cars with manifold /carbs/megajolt

It wasn't mentioned at IVA.
Although I have failed on other items.

Bluemoon - 12/2/10 at 03:41 PM

I don't think it would fail on that. My worry would be are they petrol proof, I doubt they are and as others have said silicone and lamba sensor is not a good idea (maybe in the fresh air side it's o.k as the silicone will not get washed though as there is no fuel to do that)..

Dan

FASTdan - 12/2/10 at 04:33 PM

Interesting - didnt know that about lambda sensors - what does it do to them?

cliftyhanger - 12/2/10 at 05:21 PM

silicon kills them. Remember the tesco fuel chaos a year or two ago, silicone in the petrol did it.
I would avoid anything unless specifically labelled petrol proof.
A friends RS500 lunched its fuel pump 3 days after he fitted a bit of silicone hose that he was told "probably OK" for fuel. The pump was full of bits of blue hose
Of course, you may wish to save a few bob and risk it, you may be OK. However, for a few quid? not worth the risk

doddy - 12/2/10 at 06:07 PM

most hose places will sell silicone hose that works for fuel

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40mm-1-5-8-Silicone-Fuel-Oil-Hose-Fluoro-1-Metre-Blu_W0QQitemZ290370980325QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?h ash=item439b7589e5

andyharding - 12/2/10 at 06:34 PM

I'm one of the ones that it keeps falling to bits on...

MikeRJ - 12/2/10 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by doddy
most hose places will sell silicone hose that works for fuel

Even fluoro lined silicone hose is not resistant to continuous contact with fuel.