Board logo

Zetec engine choice and fuel/ign options.
loggyboy - 10/4/10 at 09:06 PM

Ive been narrowing down mu engine choice and it seems that a zetec is coming out top of the list. (Good power output, Easy bolt to type 9, Easy and good value 'new buy' for new registration.)
However what ive not looked in to is fueling and ignition. Ive been recommened TBs and Omex, but this seems expensive, what are the other options?

MakeEverything - 10/4/10 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Ive been narrowing down mu engine choice and it seems that a zetec is coming out top of the list. (Good power output, Easy bolt to type 9, Easy and good value 'new buy' for new registration.)
However what ive not looked in to is fueling and ignition. Ive been recommened TBs and Omex, but this seems expensive, what are the other options?

2.9 cosworth V6 is also readily available, takes the type 9 from the 2.8 capri with the capri bellhousing.

Go Megasquirt. Buy one already assembled for around £300. Its really diverse.

stuart_g - 10/4/10 at 09:13 PM

Omex and bike TB's shouldn't be too expensive.

tomgregory2000 - 10/4/10 at 09:20 PM

new reg = new parts!

new parts = expensive

austin man - 10/4/10 at 09:21 PM

megasquirt will allways be the money saver, omex can come with map pre installed, Emerald are a good ecu and good support.

zetec - 10/4/10 at 09:24 PM

I think it's Retro Ford who do a TB and ECU setup for about £1700. Not cheap but easy fit and startup.

Paul TigerB6 - 11/4/10 at 12:32 AM

simple answer - pre Aug 95 then bike carbs / megajolt.
Post Aug 95 then bike tb's / megasquirt

[Edited on 11/4/10 by Paul TigerB6]

big_wasa - 11/4/10 at 08:27 AM

There are tons of options.

The first question has to be whats your budget ?

Do you need new parts for a new reg ?

And what ever way you look at it Power costs money £££££££

Danozeman - 11/4/10 at 08:56 AM

New engines dont come with an engine number i believe so may be difficult to IVA??

But yes id go with Paul tiger's idea if your on a budget.

luke - 11/4/10 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
New engines dont come with an engine number i believe so may be difficult to IVA??

But yes id go with Paul tiger's idea if your on a budget.

Only need engine number to prove the age of the engine to get the emissions tested to the relevant specs for the age of the engine. If going for a newbuild plate it will be tested to the latest emissions standards so age of engine doesn't matter.

fatbaldbloke - 11/4/10 at 05:11 PM

Relevant page on my website

I've written up what I did with bike throttle bodies and megasquirt on the Zetec in my Westfield on my website. You might find some useful info there?