Board logo

Eng Temp sender location
chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 06:36 PM

Hi all,

I have been plumbing coolant pipes today and and been left with only one place for my dash engine temp sender. I am running a zetec with the std thermostat housing and my only opportunity for locating the sender is on the 19mm pipe returning to the lower port on the thermostat housing. Is this going to provide a reliable measure of true engine temperature? I hope so as if it doesn't then I am stuffed..............

Cheers

Chris

prawnabie - 23/5/10 at 06:40 PM

Sensor really needs to be at the hottest part of the system - just before the thermostat.

big_wasa - 23/5/10 at 06:41 PM

There are two small ports. The one below the 32mm hole is the warm up bypass and this will closed when its warmed up..

What engine silver or black top ?

Silver and early black top stat housing has two temp sender holes one for ecu and other for gauge. Only the late Black tops had just one,

The other stat housing is a bolt on swap.

chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 06:43 PM

Its an early silvertop. What sort of variation is there from the hottest to the coolest part of the system at any point in time?

My chosen location is a pretty bad one then yeah!

Chris

big_wasa - 23/5/10 at 06:55 PM

So what have you got in the two holes you already have ?

Bottom one is 1/8npt andwas for the temp gauge. The top one 3/8 and was for the ecu.

chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 07:20 PM

The top one is plugged into the megasquirt and bottom one is not connected to anything - and I have no connector or anything for it. The sender I was trying to fit is the one that came with the trail tech dash.

Chris

turbodisplay - 23/5/10 at 07:22 PM

The problem with after the thermostat is that the temp will show only once (or if) it opens.
After that it will be accurate as it is the hotest part, just before the rad.

Darren

big_wasa - 23/5/10 at 07:24 PM

Trail dash uses a M10x1 thread doesnt it ?

That should wind in to the bottom 1/8 hole

chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 07:29 PM

Not sure what thread it is but the sender is sealed into a 19mm housing - designed to just be placed into the appropriate hose. Should the sender part come out of the housing?

Chris

big_wasa - 23/5/10 at 07:32 PM

The sender in the bottom of the stat housing has the square mini timer housing plug, just unscrews with a spanner.

chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 07:36 PM

So do I need to destroy the housing from the trail tech unit to get the sensor out and then fit it into the thermostat housing?

Chris

chris-p-duck - 23/5/10 at 08:07 PM

How about the return line to the header tank as an option?

Chris

big_wasa - 24/5/10 at 09:12 PM

Stick a picture of your sensor

chris-p-duck - 25/5/10 at 06:04 AM

Its one just like these.......

http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Project-Naranja/P1020505/304351807_UVg2B-M.jpg

http://forums.ninja250.org/uploads/798851.jpg

Cheers

Chris

big_wasa - 25/5/10 at 12:49 PM

Not seen one like that before, just a screw in sensor.

Stick it in the top hose to the rad if its 32mm.

Or see if Russ Bost can do you just a sensor. They are now meant to be doing a 1/8 that will just screw into the bottom of the ford stat housing I think I read.

chris-p-duck - 25/5/10 at 06:20 PM

Ok I'll give him a shout. Who is he and how do I get hold of him?

cheers

chris

big_wasa - 27/5/10 at 09:24 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/member.php?action=viewpro&member=russbost