Board logo

How to fill up a type 9 with oil?
blockhead_rich - 21/6/10 at 09:10 PM

I hope this is a stupid question! Just tried to fill up my refurbished Type 9 gearbox via the gear stick hole, only to find all the oil on the garage floor a few minutes later!!

Though this would be easy method as I can't easily get access to the correct filling hole.

So what's the correct way? Should I be able to fill it up in the method I was trying? Do I have a serious problem with my new gearbox (I hope not of course)?

Rich

SeaBass - 21/6/10 at 09:12 PM

Fill plug on the side with a big hex inside it. Pour in until it overflows.

The gear linkage is not part of the wet side of the box hence the reason you can tap of the end cap and use an extension on most sevens.

Put a hole in the footwell panel for the hex shaft socket that you can fit with a nice grommet?

Most decent gearbox oil containers have a neat spout that extends.

[Edited on 21/6/10 by SeaBass]

Alfa145 - 21/6/10 at 09:14 PM

Looking at this This Link
No you cant fill it up that way.

Best to get access to the proper filling hole, then you can get the correct level too. A nice accewss panel can be made in the tunnel side to get at it

[Edited on 21/6/10 by Alfa145]

flak monkey - 21/6/10 at 09:15 PM

Or take the lid off.

Other than that there's no other way of filling it.

Theres a seal on the selector shaft.

blockhead_rich - 21/6/10 at 09:20 PM

B***er, I thought that it was going to be an easy job to tick off the list!

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to get the drill out, etc, now.

Oh and go and buy some more oil too.

Rich

David Jenkins - 21/6/10 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Fill plug on the side with a big hex inside it. Pour in until it overflows.

Early boxes - yes. Later boxes - no - you have to fill to a level about 10mm below the hole. Ideally you start empty and put a measured amount in (can't remember the quantity).

I fitted a filler hole with a screw-in bung to the lid of my type 9, which I can just-about reach from the engine compartment (although I also have an access hatch just above the lid). My cunning plan is to fit a dipstick to the bung - once I'm sure that it won't get tangled in the gears!

[Edited on 21/6/10 by David Jenkins]

Trev Borg - 21/6/10 at 09:46 PM

take the lid off, drill a hole in the corner of lid, weld a nut over the hole, fabricate a dip stick using bolt to fit hole.

There was a link somewhere on the web for this, will try and find.

mcerd1 - 21/6/10 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich

make sure thats GL4 oil not GL5

austin man - 21/6/10 at 10:14 PM

I drilled a 25mm hole in the tunnel which i can access the plug and fill the box quite easily from inside the car

Daddylonglegs - 22/6/10 at 08:51 AM

I 'borrowwed' this idea from one of our local club members

Just used a standard plumbing end-stop.

[img][/img]

big-vee-twin - 22/6/10 at 09:14 AM

Didn't some of the newer boxes have a revised filler plug position i.e. lower - saw a picture on here recently showing the difference.

Micael - 22/6/10 at 09:37 AM

And remember that a TYPE 9 will only work one season with out oil.

Don't ask me how i know.

Bluemoon - 22/6/10 at 09:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

Hum, I will be checking that when I get home, thought all EP90 were the same.. A quick Google shows this is not the case (GL5 does bad things to the bronzes parts..)... Had some odd transmission noises lately, better look into that!!

Dan

mcerd1 - 22/6/10 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

Hum, I will be checking that when I get home, thought all EP90 were the same.. A quick Google shows this is not the case (GL5 does bad things to the bronzes parts..)... Had some odd transmission noises lately, better look into that!!

Dan

BGH recommend comma stuff for there ones (as tried and tested in there boxes - nice and locost too )
but the man himself told be it didn't matter as long as it was a GL4 from a half decent brand

[Edited on 22/6/2010 by mcerd1]

blockhead_rich - 22/6/10 at 10:50 PM

So whats the big difference between GL 4 and 5? The bottle I've alredy got says GL5 (COMA 75W90?)
Rich

P.S. Don't you just love this forum for when you have a simple question that turns out not be be so simple?

P.P.S So will I get my car back on the road in July???

mcerd1 - 22/6/10 at 11:07 PM

I'll let someone else fill in the details - but basicaly GL5 is diff oil which type 9's don't like...

this is the stuff you need: linky