Board logo

but WHICH engine ???
alawrence - 3/10/10 at 08:25 PM

which are the popular bike and car engines ?
which require the least mods
mazda...toyota yam honda yadayadayada

mookaloid - 3/10/10 at 08:42 PM

bit of a broad question - what are you building? what do you want to use it for? etc etc more info needed please

alawrence - 3/10/10 at 09:14 PM

track mostly...but poss road registered

interestedparty - 3/10/10 at 09:16 PM

As Mook said your questions are far too broad. To get useful info you need to give it, and so far you are not doing that.

alawrence - 3/10/10 at 09:17 PM

but what is the most tried and tested with minimum mods.
I cant believe you need TBs bike carbs etc to get a quick car
I want it simple

interestedparty - 3/10/10 at 09:20 PM

You are still doing it. Remember, give out the info first, in terms of making it clear what you want, then will help.

What you are doing is similar to someone asking the best way into town, without saying which town or where they are starting from.

alawrence - 3/10/10 at 09:57 PM

“What is the most popular engine which is tried and tested” is not a difficult question; it’s a matter of fact to someone who knows the subject.
The criterion of "mostly track but road registered" is possibly the most common kit car use.
And as for the comments made by “interestedparty” I’ve never heard so much condescending claptrap. Please if you see a post from me again please don’t feel the need to contribute

Benzine - 3/10/10 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alawrence
which are the popular bike and car engines ?

petrol 4 stroke

HTH! <3

hicost blade - 3/10/10 at 10:17 PM

I rate the Vauxhall 2.0 XE as they are quite cheap and well tested

adithorp - 3/10/10 at 10:22 PM

Car engines...
Ford Pinto/Zetec/Duratec, Rover K series/V8, Vx RedTop. Toyata 4ag, Honda S2000....

Bike engine...
Honda Fireblades/Blackbird, Kwak zx9/10/11/12/14. Suzuki 'busa, Yamaha R1's....

Rule out the Pinto as it's a bit old hat, S3000 great engine bit complicated to fit, Blackbird and Busa need drysump if you want them to last. Rover V8 probably not the best suited to track cars. That still leaves a long list without more info.

BEC is probably the best option for mostly track use but then we;re starting to open another can of worms.

adrian

eddie99 - 3/10/10 at 11:08 PM

What is it for? What Car, Etc... Its a vague question however many variables you give it but with non its not possible, there are so many engines used in the world, non of them would be there if they weren't best for a car at a certain time.

iscmatt - 3/10/10 at 11:11 PM

Please search this topic, it has been covered to death. If you want an answer though

Duratec, S2000 or Pinto

stevebubs - 3/10/10 at 11:43 PM

quote:
“What is the most popular engine which is tried and tested”

If this is the case, then it's going to be something like the ford crossflow....used in kit cars from the early 70s and still in use today....

Not the quickest by a mile...but almost certainly the most ubiquitous...

interestedparty - 4/10/10 at 05:43 AM

quote:
Please if you see a post from me again please don’t feel the need to contribute

Asking stupid questions is often likely to provoke stupid answers.

When you ask next ask a question try to provide some context. Tell us a bit about what chassis you have, and, rather more important, what your budget restrictions are. Would there be any point in telling you that the best engine would be a Cosworth Duratec? Would you be able to afford it?

I don't think my previous answer was condescending, I think it was an attempt to provide an analogy to your question.

Here's a thought, why not go on a computer forum and ask "what's the best computer?", or a fishing forum and ask "what's the best reel/". I am sure you will get similar responses to the ones you've had here, and in some forums they will be a lot less polite.

What you need to do now is to get reading. The posts in this forum section go back 10 years. Get yourself a cup of coffee and a comfortable chair and start working your way back through them.

HTH

[Edited on 4/10/10 by interestedparty]

speedyxjs - 4/10/10 at 07:32 AM

Looking back at your previous thread, it seems you want to race in the locost series. I think there are restrictions on what engines you can use. May ba worth finding out first.

hughpinder - 4/10/10 at 07:38 AM

What race series are you planning on entering? Some only allow certain engines.

Regards
Hugh

Alfa145 - 4/10/10 at 08:22 AM

Lambo V10, fantastic engine, would need no mods to make a quick car......

AdamR - 4/10/10 at 08:51 AM

The best mainstream 4 cylinder engine around is prob the Honda K20. Not sure what RWD gearbox options there are though.

boggle - 4/10/10 at 10:50 AM

i like the idea of a subaru flat four in a rear/mid engine set up using the standard gearbox. or a bike engine in a small light car, or a big v8 in a big heavy car....

adithorp - 4/10/10 at 10:50 AM

quote:
but what is the most tried and tested with minimum mods.
I cant believe you need TBs bike carbs etc to get a quick car
I want it simple

To narrow down the previous list using those critera...

CEC...
Ford crossflow, 1300 version if you intend to race locost series.
Ford Pinto, old hat but not a lot to do to fit.
Ford Zetec, newer but more work to fit in-line.

BEC...
Most of the 900-1000cc engines, Blades, R1, ZX9 etc loads done with all model years. Few mod's needed but nothing difficult (sump baffles, breather mods).
Some stuff needs dry sump,oilcoolers etc.

adrian

RAYLEE29 - 4/10/10 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Car engines...
Ford Pinto/Zetec/Duratec, Rover K series/V8, Vx RedTop. Toyata 4ag, Honda S2000....

Bike engine...
Honda Fireblades/Blackbird, Kwak zx9/10/11/12/14. Suzuki 'busa, Yamaha R1's....

Rule out the Pinto as it's a bit old hat, S3000 great engine bit complicated to fit, Blackbird and Busa need drysump if you want them to last. Rover V8 probably not the best suited to track cars. That still leaves a long list without more info.

BEC is probably the best option for mostly track use but then we;re starting to open another can of worms.

adrian

Hey dont diss my engine man
lol
im not going to tell my engine what you said about it, just cause its old! it might spit out its newly inserted core plugs lol.
Ray

p.s I even considered a lotus twink i was offered as i thought it would be quite retro

[Edited on 4/10/10 by RAYLEE29]

alawrence - 4/10/10 at 06:26 PM

cheers for the info chaps
I think a bike engine is the way to go given whats been said.
Thanks

alawrence - 4/10/10 at 06:30 PM

now then interested party...this is your field of expertise.
see if you can keep it under 2000 words

interestedparty - 4/10/10 at 06:59 PM

quote:
now then interested party...this is your field of expertise.
see if you can keep it under 2000 words

Whatever, troll.

alawrence - 4/10/10 at 07:15 PM

xxx

flak monkey - 4/10/10 at 07:42 PM

Blimey, way to start an argument alawrence

Your questions are undoubtedly vauge so deserve suitable vaue answers which is exactly what you have got. Unless someone writes out the pros and cons of every option then I doubt you will be satisfied.

I'll say now though, drop your attitude or you will find people will be unwilling to help you out - the worst thing you can do is alienate the helpful people on here.

But FWIW:

What race series are you planning to enter? - if its the locost series I believe you are restricted to the 1300 xflow. Other 750mc will allow bike engines I believe.

None of these cars are complex - even mine with the supercharger isnt complicated when you break it down. If you do your research then anything is possible.

TB's are no big hassle, neither is fuel injection. IMO both are well worthwhile if you want the best from whatever engine you fit especially if you want to track the car - unless its prohibited in the race series you want to enter.

Car engine wise, if you want minimum mods, bolt in power then zetec is simple and cheap. Not the most powerful by any stretch. The duratec is worth the extra effort and provides the same power as a highly tuned zetec,, but in standard form.

Bike engines - all are relatively straightforward to install.

scootz - 4/10/10 at 07:47 PM

^^^Good point... well made!^^^

alawrence - 25/10/10 at 02:39 PM

Chaps
I think the operative word is "helpful ".
I’ve had some great advice from people on here even when the question may not be up to your standard.
However as an engineer of 25 years experience if I have learned one thing its recognising BS when i hear it from armchair experts who are well read but have actually done nothing.
You need to try and ensure that the person who needs advise is not belittled by the responses, instead of posting a response which is more for the benefit of other members. Just remember that this forum is here to help people like me, not to show members how clever they THINK they are.
As for the "drop the attitude" comment i would like to think that we are all adults and as such that sort of play ground aggression has no place here.
I would like to draw a line under this thread however i would like to bet that some of the less helpful members won’t be able to resist another snipe.

[Edited on 25/10/10 by alawrence]

NS Dev - 25/10/10 at 02:49 PM

Disregarding all the fluff.............

Flakmonkey's engine setup is a very nice, sensible one, which makes bags of power and is very quick. (I imagine, though I've not been out in it! )

My vauxhall XE is also quick

Throttle bodies are very easy, and very nice once set up.

pratting about with carburettors can be a pain, especially used, "cheap" ones.

Use whatever engine you want. They ALL have pros and cons, including the bike engines.

There are a lot of poorly executed cars out there, with both bike and car engine power.

There are some very quick cars running"poor" engines on paper.

alawrence - 25/10/10 at 03:03 PM

everytime I see a good idea i change my mind thats the problem
I think im going to go for a part built project which somone else has already made the decision for me...Ive seen on on ebay and im gonna go for it..i am ..i really am. I think
thanks for the info

username - 25/10/10 at 03:07 PM

Do it, don't do it...

I don't think anyone gives a s**t

interestedparty - 25/10/10 at 03:34 PM

quote:
You need to try and ensure that the person who needs advise is not belittled by the responses, instead of posting a response which is more for the benefit of other members. Just remember that this forum is here to help people like me, not to show members how clever they THINK they are.

A Lawrence telling other people what they need to do

alawrence - 25/10/10 at 03:49 PM

i knew you would come out of the woodwork sooner or later...
how you doin sugarplumb xxx

[Edited on 25/10/10 by alawrence]