Board logo

Gearshift lever shaking/vibrating excessively on MT75
Jos Fury - 1/9/11 at 10:34 AM

Dear forummembers,

My gearbox lever is shaking / vibrating excessively, only when driving.
When I drive and press the clutchpedal ( fully ) the vibrating goes away.

Where should I start looking ? Balancing propshaft ?

Cheers,

snapper - 1/9/11 at 11:30 AM

First check the remote gearlever, this is known to come loose or break a weld making the lever go all floppy.
Check gearbox and engine mounts.

daviep - 1/9/11 at 01:00 PM

It can't be propshaft related, pressing the clutch does not stop the propshaft spinning.

Is this a sudden problem or has it always done it?

As above check all mountings and the bellhousing bolts.

Davie

Jos Fury - 1/9/11 at 01:54 PM

thanx, will check !
looks like it is not the propshaft than.
if I put the car in neutral when driving at lets say 50mph, does the prop still spin as well ? just want to know.

SeaBass - 1/9/11 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jos Fury
if I put the car in neutral when driving at lets say 50mph, does the prop still spin as well ? just want to know.

Yes - the clutch disconnects the gearbox input shaft from the engine. The gearbox output shaft and prop shaft to the rear will turn at all times the car is moving, neutral or not. Maybe check the bolts holding the clutch cover to the flywheel.

[Edited on 1/9/11 by SeaBass]

roadrunner - 1/9/11 at 07:34 PM

I have a similar problem on a Passat 1.8T, the stick vibrates at 3000plus revs and makes the lever rattle.
I have replaced all engine and gearbox mounts to no avail. I have been told it could be gearbox related or the just the start of somthing else.

Jos Fury - 2/9/11 at 06:07 AM

thank you all for the replies so far. will look into the matter and let you know the outcome. might be helpfull for other's as well.

Jos Fury - 3/9/11 at 09:08 AM

seems like the combo of gearbox/propshaft is maybe not ok.
took some pictures while having a closer look to how it is put together. thank's for your help yesterday Rob, nice lift started a new thread to find how other people have connected the mt75 to a live axle.

[Edited on 3/9/11 by Jos Fury]