Board logo

Car hyas a misfire/'bogs down' under acceleration
lordbenny - 29/3/13 at 01:03 PM

When accelerating, especially hard my engine initially 'bogs down' before responding properly. It drives ok under 'mild' acceleration but as soon as it get the beans it struggles.

I have very recently had it set up by Sanspeed so cant understand why this is happening.

2.0 Zetec
45mm Dellortos
New plugs

Is it more likely to be electrical than fuel (jets etc)?

Could it be leads?

scutter - 29/3/13 at 01:09 PM

I'd be looking at fuel filter first, ie. it can handle a mild demand but is too clogged to full bore accels.

ATB Dan.

lordbenny - 29/3/13 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scutter
I'd be looking at fuel filter first, ie. it can handle a mild demand but is too clogged to full bore accels.

I've got a standard Malpassi regulator with a new filter inside. Can they be easily adjusted?

v8james - 29/3/13 at 01:21 PM

Make sure the pump jets are working in all carbs.

jacko - 29/3/13 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lordbenny
When accelerating, especially hard my engine initially 'bogs down' before responding properly. It drives ok under 'mild' acceleration but as soon as it get the beans it struggles.

I have very recently had it set up by Sanspeed so cant understand why this is happening.

2.0 Zetec
45mm Dellortos
New plugs

Is it more likely to be electrical than fuel (jets etc)?

Could it be leads?

Why not ring Sanspeed and let them sort it or was it running ok after they set it up ?
Jacko

lordbenny - 29/3/13 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko

Why not ring Sanspeed and let them sort it or was it running ok after they set it up ?
Jacko

It wasn't running perfectly before and doesn't run perfectly now (I've done less than 100 miles since I got it rolling roaded for £140!!!). One of the reasons I took it there in the first place was to sort this issue out!

I did ring them and they told me to drop it down but didnt say it'll be free. To be honest...

a) I thought I might be able to cure the problem myself

b) I dont want to throw any more money at Sanspeed especially if its an easy fix.

Oddified - 29/3/13 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8james
Make sure the pump jets are working in all carbs.

+1
And if they are, you may need to go up a size.

Ian

mark chandler - 29/3/13 at 03:17 PM

If you take the filters off and look into the bell mouths of the carbs when you yank the throttle to full open you should see a squirt of fuel blasting into the engine. On each barrel, this is needed on carbs that do not have dampers such as SU's as the mixture will immediately weaken when you initially a accelerate.

Rolling roads set the mixture at constant speeds so if you have someone who usually deals with EFI then they may not have corrected this aspect or understood how to set up.

Regards Mark

sky12042 - 29/3/13 at 06:40 PM

Had the same problem on mine, changed the plugs and runs fine, but also check the pump jets and that the washers and o rings are ok, mine was perished so when giving it the beans fuel would leak out of the o rings rather than into the carbs.

Andy.