Board logo

Engine misfire under load
richwill - 14/12/13 at 04:45 PM

I have been having trouble getting my engine to run correctly. (Pinto injection 2.0)
The engine misfires under acceleration.
I haven't had it running for a couple of months and have also repaired the exhaust recently after it broke on the weld between the collector and down pipe. While investigating the trouble I found the coil lead was loose and sparking. I replaced this and all the other leads and distributer cap but don't seem to have solved the trouble.
I thought this at first had solved the problem however when I took it out today it still misfired under load.
Any suggestions as to what to try next.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 14/12/13 at 04:59 PM

Spark plugs,rotor arm, old fuel ,blocked jets in carb? Though you had checked coil tower that's worth checking it was sparking on the ht lead

[Edited on 14/12/13 by ian locostzx9rc2]

britishtrident - 14/12/13 at 05:01 PM

Plugs
A crack in the coil ht insulation is also a possible cause.

Then check valve clearances and do a compression test

[Edited on 14/12/13 by britishtrident]

richwill - 14/12/13 at 05:18 PM

I have a new set of plugs so will fit them and I think I may have another coil so will also try that.

GonzoRacer - 15/12/13 at 02:01 PM

If it only misfires under a load, you might check the base timing and the spark advance. You mention a distributor, does it have an "old fashioned" vacuum advance? Might check the vac line on that.

britishtrident - 15/12/13 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GonzoRacer
If it only misfires under a load, you might check the base timing and the spark advance. You mention a distributor, does it have an "old fashioned" vacuum advance? Might check the vac line on that.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oddified - 15/12/13 at 02:54 PM

Had that on a pinto many years ago. Found to be the ht coil breaking down, ran ok at idle and cruising, but not enough spark to ignite the fuel under load.

Ian

Nickp - 15/12/13 at 03:01 PM

Blocked fuel filter? Allows enough fuel through for tickover and light load but not heavy load?

richwill - 15/12/13 at 04:37 PM

Changed the leads,plugs coil and also discovered a fuel leak which I fixed hopefully this has sorted it. Old plugs were very sooty which I think indicates that it's running rich? I will have to see if I can adjust this but not sure how? Can't test it though as it's chucking it down.

britishtrident - 15/12/13 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richwill
Changed the leads,plugs coil and also discovered a fuel leak which I fixed hopefully this has sorted it. Old plugs were very sooty which I think indicates that it's running rich? I will have to see if I can adjust this but not sure how? Can't test it though as it's chucking it down.

Running rich with injection system often points to the coolant temperature sensor or a fault in the associated wiring.