Board logo

ZZR sump
zzr-fleet - 7/4/14 at 07:09 PM

Just bought another engine for my locost. Iv got the 2 engines side by side and iv noticed they have different sumps. Does anyone have any ideas why? is it a modification for ground clearance or is it more complicated than that

thanks

mortsi - 7/4/14 at 07:38 PM

think they put the gpz sump on for extra ground clearence

zzr-fleet - 7/4/14 at 07:57 PM

Do i still put the same amount of oil in (3.5L) and just ignore the level glass?

mortsi - 7/4/14 at 08:00 PM

ive got zzr1100 in mine but got a muzzys dry sump kit so im not sure mate have a search for older post sure someone will of asked that question along the line.

teegray19 - 7/4/14 at 08:50 PM

as above, you use the gpz 900 sump to gain extra ground clearance, the zzr1100 is quite a tall sump.

I've got the gpz sump on mine, same gaskets and all that jazz...

teegray19 - 7/4/14 at 08:52 PM

i use the sight glass at all times.

but over fill slightly, the best thing todo is get a haynes manual if your unsure, tells you a lot of information about the engine in very good detail.

also had those wiring diagrams in.

did you get that all sorted?

zzr-fleet - 7/4/14 at 08:54 PM

Thanks. What about oil level? Iv searched the forum but can't see anything.

zzr-fleet - 7/4/14 at 09:02 PM

I still didn't have a spark before I took the engine out so I should be trying again this week. Cylinder 4 was well down on compression. Iv got a 'C' cdi unit and coil packs and iv bought a wiring harness from a zzr now so im basically starting again. So I might need more help later in the week lol.
Im a HGV fitter so havent got a lot of knowledge of petrol engines and bike engines especially.

jossey - 7/4/14 at 09:36 PM

There is a lot of advise on here from me, guiness, teegray and others.

I have had 2 zzr engines one ended not do good (check my archive)

Slightly over full the oil let her run for a bit to fill the oil cooler and top up if needed.

zzr-fleet - 7/4/14 at 09:45 PM

Thanks. Also have you got any suggestions for an air filter? Trumpet socks? Air box?
No room for standard air box.