Board logo

to rebuild a zetec silvertop or not???
will121 - 12/6/14 at 09:14 PM

done a track evening in the Fiesta Wednesday night, car went great but developed an oil leak with a small puddle left on the pit garage floor, leak looks like from crankshaft seal coming out of gearbox bellhousing.
Question is is it worth rebuilding a silvertop and how much is it likely to cost gaskets bearings etc as looking to take engine out to also check clutch and if going to that extent may be drawn into appeal of further upgrades.
Engine currently running 173bhp, or do i just keep an eye on oil level and top up

video of going well

HowardB - 13/6/14 at 04:57 AM

Nice video!

I like my silver top.. 177bhp from 1.6...

[Edited on 13/6/14 by HowardB]

big_wasa - 13/6/14 at 06:26 AM

A full re build ? No.

Ten years ago it cost me £600 in parts + machine work. Thats New engine money.

If its just an oil seal on the crank then I would do it.

177 from a 1.6 are sure thats not a zetec SE ? thats double the standard 1.6 zetec E with its tiny ports. Is it a bluprinted formula ford or somthing.

Paul Turner - 13/6/14 at 07:08 AM

It cost me very little more to buy a brand new Blacktop instead of rebuilding my old Silvertop and that was assuming the Silvertop only required the basic consumables, honing, cleaning etc. Sold the Silvertop in bits on E-Bay together with the spare bits off the crate Blacktop and I was in pocket.

To be fair installing the Blacktop cost a few extra pounds since hoses etc are a little different and I need to sort the alternator idler but 5 years on I have no regrets and still have a virtually brand new engine in that car that is only just run in.

cliftyhanger - 13/6/14 at 07:25 AM

As above, clutch and oil seal pretty cheap, the oil seal would be worth doing just to sell the engine.
But decide if you want to spend out on a new engine first. And what upgrades? Blkacktop worth a handful of bhp alone, but are you thinking cams and head?
And what else is wrong with the existing engine?

will121 - 13/6/14 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
As above, clutch and oil seal pretty cheap, the oil seal would be worth doing just to sell the engine.
But decide if you want to spend out on a new engine first. And what upgrades? Blkacktop worth a handful of bhp alone, but are you thinking cams and head?
And what else is wrong with the existing engine?

Existing engine has cams and DIY ported head, nothing known Wrong but as always regarding power, what you have is never enough. If stripping engine could be drawn into further cams and possible 2.1 overbore if worn

cliftyhanger - 13/6/14 at 03:00 PM

Don't think you need to strip the engine for rear oil seal? or is my memory playing tricks?
Get it sorted in a weekend, go drive the car.
Otherwise you will be faffing for ages (or at least I would be!)