Board logo

Carb set-up + motorcycle carbs?
Shaunk10 - 26/6/14 at 10:11 AM

Hi guys,

I have an mk indy kit car with the standard 2.0pinto from a sierra.
Now I was wondering if anyone knows how to tune up the standard carb, is it the something38?
Its got a chrome K&N bonnet air filter on the top which came like that when I brought the car.
Now are there any manufacture settings I can adjust the carb back to? then has anyone got any ideas on tweaking it slightly?
I mean the carb itself runs fine and pretty sweet. However If im in 2nd gear and off the throttle for a while, it sometimes feels like the car builds up some extra fuel, and when I press the pedal, it feels like it dumps it all at once and feels noticeably faster than if im going through the gears from 1st to 2nd etc.
I hope that makes some sense?!
Now at home I have a motorcycle carb > pinto inlet manifold.
Which looks to fit.
How much work is actually needed to fit bike carbs? and are they much work setting up? will I need to balance them etc?
Is that extra £60 for carbs going to make any noticeable power increase?
And do I need to change the fuel system?

Cheers guys.

mcerd1 - 26/6/14 at 03:17 PM

if you really want the tune the standard carb then there is some info in the old sierra Haynes book
(get an old out of date one that doesn't cover the later injection models - a bit like this: linky )

quote:
Originally posted by Shaunk10
Now at home I have a motorcycle carb > pinto inlet manifold.
Which looks to fit.

what carb's was the manifold made for / what size are the tubes and at what spacings ?

quote:
How much work is actually needed to fit bike carbs?

the short answer is:
1- fit them to the manifold (may need re-spaced depending on the manifold)
2- bolt the manifold to the car
3- connect the fuel and accelerator
4- fit some kind of airbox / filter
5- re-jet the carb's / tune it up and your done

quote:
are they much work setting up?

a bit - they need the jets to be drilled out as there aren't many off the shelf jet sizes available

quote:
will I need to balance them etc?

yes

quote:
Is that extra £60 for carbs going to make any noticeable power increase?

yes, but how much depends on what else you change

they are approximately equal to twin webers / deloto's, but with better fuel economy

small 600cc bike carbs will be about the same as twin 40's
bigger 900/1000cc carb's are closer to twin 45's

a cam can make a massive difference to a pinto as can porting the head and the right exhaust helps too (factory manifolds are rubbish)
with the right cam, exhausts with a little head work and a set of R1 or ZX9R carb's the pinto should easy make 140hp+

if your not going to change anything else then I'd stick with the 600cc size carb's (ZX6R / R6 / etc...) - not sure what you'd get out of the stock cam, but it'll probably still be a bit more than the pathetic 105bhp it had in the sierra

changing to modern programmable ignition will also help with how it feels and how much fuel it drinks

quote:
And do I need to change the fuel system?

you'll need to remove and blank off the manual fuel pump
then replace it with the electronic one from a bike with similar powered carb's (must be a carb'd bikes pump)

[Edited on 26/6/2014 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 27/6/2014 by mcerd1]

Shaunk10 - 27/6/14 at 05:47 AM

You absolute star, that's perfect thanks a lot mate!

mcerd1 - 27/6/14 at 07:22 AM

send me your e-mail address on a u2u - I've got loads more info on pinto's

Shaunk10 - 30/6/14 at 11:20 AM

Done!