Board logo

What Engines will work with Ford Type 9 gearbox
Antnicuk - 25/10/15 at 06:54 PM

I am looking at a car with a 2.0l pinto and type 9 box from a sierra. I want to replace the engine for something with more power and wondered if there are option for keeping the type 9. This will also depend on the power and torque that a type 9 will take for track use in a 700kg car.

It would probably need to be 2.0L turbo if a 4 cylinder 2.0L as i want in excess of 250 bhp. I have seen a few saab engines and know that people have used these in a rwd set up and they are bullet proof. Not sure what box they are using but the type 9 seem to fit the red top engine

Daf - 25/10/15 at 07:09 PM

I doubt very much a standard type 9 will handle 250hp - generally from what I've read 200 is about your limit before things start to go wrong.

Antnicuk - 25/10/15 at 07:17 PM

thanks, i thought there may be a fairly low limit, shame, would have made any conversion a bit cheaper and easier

big-vee-twin - 25/10/15 at 07:19 PM

Type 9 goes to about 200, then you need a heavy duty upgrade/rebuild.

Daf - 25/10/15 at 07:23 PM

Plenty of engine choices though, with the removable bell housing you can buy a replacment to mate it to loads of options. I got my bellhousing from here:

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/

great people to deal with

Ugg10 - 25/10/15 at 07:30 PM

One of the favourite turbo conversion would be the Vauxhall calibra turbo (XELET?) with a new bell housing. But if you want 250hp+ then I would be looking at a s14 200sx engine that comes with a rwd gearbox already. As for the type 9, stock will take around 150hp, the quaife clubman is rated at 190hp and HD version 240hp (see bgh website) but you are looking at £1500+ which will pay for the 200sx, all mods and a decent tuning session.

Also be aware that a diff and brake update may well be needed as you will be doubling the power. Don't forget to budget for new mounts, intercooler and exhaust.

Ben_Copeland - 25/10/15 at 07:39 PM

I run a standard type 9 with 272bhp and 309ftlb torque. 2.0L Vauxhall turbo with alloy bel housing. If you want to run the type 9 do it!!! Mines done over a year and has been fine.

It's not power that kills gearboxes it's torque and the torque is related to the weight of the vehicle. Less weight more torque it can take from the engine. The wheels spin before the gearbox gets too stressed

[Edited on 25/10/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Daf - 25/10/15 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I run a standard type 9 with 272bhp and 309ftlb torque. 2.0L Vauxhall turbo with alloy bel housing. If you want to run the type 9 do it!!! Mines done over a year and has been fine.

I bet that's fun, I'm impressed the type 9 is coping with that! Did you rebuild the box before using it? How much does your car weigh?

Antnicuk - 25/10/15 at 07:41 PM

thanks all, it has confirmed my suspicions. I may go back to rotary, rx8 have a nice 6 speed box but it is quite wide and not sure if it would fit in the tunnel, my cousins Tiger avon has it fitted but it was a squeeze. Mine is a Super six, not sure if it is wider or narrower than the avon

jimgiblett - 25/10/15 at 10:26 PM

if you decide to sell the type 9 let me know as I have a mate looking for one for Marlin to convert it to 5sp

Cheers

Jim

Ben_Copeland - 26/10/15 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

I bet that's fun, I'm impressed the type 9 is coping with that! Did you rebuild the box before using it? How much does your car weigh?

Nope. It's a v6 box but they are same strength apparently. It's straight out of someone's garage. 660kg plus me

You can run a RX8 box with an adapter plate for most engines or if you go Vauxhall engine a omega box is plenty strong enough. There's loads of choices

[Edited on 26/10/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben_Copeland - 26/10/15 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
thanks all, it has confirmed my suspicions. I may go back to rotary, rx8 have a nice 6 speed box but it is quite wide and not sure if it would fit in the tunnel, my cousins Tiger avon has it fitted but it was a squeeze. Mine is a Super six, not sure if it is wider or narrower than the avon

You can use that RX8 5/6 speed box on a lot of engines now.

coozer - 26/10/15 at 03:44 PM

Focus RS mk1 fits a type 9 as does any previous zetec engine.

Can easily be tuned to 350bhp.