Board logo

xflow starter motor help needed
CraigJ - 6/6/16 at 01:05 PM

Looking for a bit of help as the what to do.

I have a 1700 xflow with the inertia starter and recently when the car was on the rolling road I noticed there was a lot of sparks flying around in the bell housing. I now have the engine back out to sort a few things and it seems the sparks were from the start coming into contact with the ring gear.

The starter is a 10 tooth and the ring gear 110.

Can I swap the inertia starter for a normal starter, if so what starter do I need to look for?

Also the xflow is bolted up to a type 9 gearbox.

Dick Axtell - 6/6/16 at 04:38 PM

When I built initially, using a 1600 xflow engine + Capri 4-speed box, I had to change the flywheel to one with ring gear which suited the Capri starter. Might still have an unused ring gear, if you fancy fitting your own.

rusty nuts - 6/6/16 at 05:24 PM

From memory the ring gear for the inertia starter is 110 teeth , for the pre engaged its 130 . Burtonpower website lists them

Adamirish - 6/6/16 at 06:31 PM

Mine shat 2 teeth off my pinion so bit the bullet and bought an up rated one. Wasn't cheap at all but certainly head and shoulders above the standard item. FYI, a 9 tooth starter will work fine on a 110t ring gear. I got mine from Cambridge Motorsport. Very very knowledgable and helpful. If this is the route you want to go then I can give you the specs of mine if need be as they are basically built to order.

CraigJ - 8/6/16 at 10:11 AM

Cheers for the reply's guys.