Board logo

Toyota 4age Spark Plug Issue
ttalps2000 - 9/6/16 at 07:49 PM

Is there any reason why my Toyota 4age should be blowing out a spark plug on cylinder 2 only in a very short space of time?

This is the second plug now and it has only been run a handful of times. The engine is running rich as i have not had it on the rolling road yet, but all the others have been fine.

The plug does not appear to be all oiled up etc and seems the same as the others when removed.

Any help would be great!

adithorp - 9/6/16 at 08:26 PM

Blowing out?

perksy - 9/6/16 at 08:28 PM

When you say "Blowing out" Do you mean it's actually coming out of the cylinderhead ?

If so a Damaged spark plug thread in cylinderhead would be the first check once you know its correctly tightened in the first place

ttalps2000 - 9/6/16 at 08:32 PM

sorry wrong terminology, as in it is no longer working/sparking

britishtrident - 9/6/16 at 08:58 PM

Have you switched the coil packs between cylinders to see if the miss follows the coil pack.

ttalps2000 - 9/6/16 at 09:04 PM

yep tried that last time, no difference. Change the plug and runs fine!

Put the plug in a different cylinder and it then will not fire on that cylinder

Dusty - 9/6/16 at 09:43 PM

Running rich kills plugs these days. Secondly unless you have done so already have the injectors out, cleaned and flow checked. I did this 2 years back on my zetec and had the worst at half the flow of the best with the other two in the middle somewhere. Explained a lot! New injectors were the order of the day. Maybe your injectors are like mine were.

ttalps2000 - 9/6/16 at 09:45 PM

its on carbs lol. all been rebuilt etc though

Dusty - 9/6/16 at 10:59 PM

Well it won't be the injectors then I guess! Might still be a useful post for someone with a rough running plug spoiling injected engine.

SPYDER - 10/6/16 at 12:26 AM

Check for a loose carb jet on the offending cylinder.

ttalps2000 - 10/6/16 at 10:24 AM

will have a look