Board logo

Best R1 engine to buy for kitcar
richard munnis - 19/2/17 at 11:00 PM

Looking advice what is best R1 engine for kitcar installation and why everybody seems to go cbrr way in the 1000cc bike world Thanks in advance

hkp57 - 20/2/17 at 02:07 AM

Scottish Kit Car Center have done a few now using the R1 14B Big Bang

Adamirish - 20/2/17 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
Scottish Kit Car Center have done a few now using the R1 14B Big Bang

They sound epic! A mate of mine uses a pair of these in his autograss car. He has had a lot of gearbox trouble. Apparently that is the weak point.

He fitted a gearbox from some American company and so far it's been perfect. Apparently the engines themselves are extremely strong, just the gearbox isn't the best in standard form.

If I was going bike engined, this is the way I would be going, just for that noise!

daniel mason - 20/2/17 at 10:37 PM

5VY for sure!

richard munnis - 20/2/17 at 10:45 PM

If you don't mind me asking why the 5vy model and what year is it in cheers Richard

CosKev3 - 21/2/17 at 11:43 AM

Define what 'best' is though In your eyes ?

They all have different plus sides and downsides

richard munnis - 21/2/17 at 06:26 PM

Looking it for my trackday/ race car want one with slipper clutch and not having the injectors in the airbox like the cbrr1000 as they end up far too tall as my car is a striker lowered so the sump can't stick out below bottom chassis rails most r1 as far as I know only need a baffle plate not a billeted sump which is expensive

daniel mason - 21/2/17 at 07:47 PM

5vy circa 2006. Very reliable motor.cheap to buy.nice and powerful,and they scream!

gaz_gaz - 21/2/17 at 08:15 PM

I looked at changing to a 5vy when I put my car together and it looked the best value for money. but in the end that fact I already had an AB exhaust and the chassis was mounted up for a CBR made me stick with the Honda.

Andy now does an airbox that drops the overall height by quite alot.