Board logo

Anyone had a go at tuning a 16V Toyota 4A-GE engine?
russtik - 29/3/17 at 08:58 AM

So who's had a go at tuning the Toyota 4A-GE 16V, either first timers or multiple times? I'd be interested to hear what you did and the outcomes you achieved.

I have a standard lump sitting in the corner of my garage and I'm mulling over what to do with it. FYI my tuning experience to date is mostly academic, so if I were to attempt this all myself it would be for the first time.

stripe - 29/3/17 at 10:35 AM

I've got some cams (cant remember the duration), omex electronic ignition and jenvery throttle bodies, and its pushing out 152bhp (measured/tuned at northampton motorsport).

when i had the bottom end rebuilt by rouge motorsport who mainly do MR2, they were saying that new stock 16v 4age are generally a long way under the advertised power, and that 150bhp is a decent output for this engine in NA form...

i do like the way i dont have much power until i get to 5500rpm, with my red line at 8...

russtik - 29/3/17 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stripe
I've got some cams (cant remember the duration), omex electronic ignition and jenvery throttle bodies, and its pushing out 152bhp (measured/tuned at northampton motorsport).

when i had the bottom end rebuilt by rouge motorsport who mainly do MR2, they were saying that new stock 16v 4age are generally a long way under the advertised power, and that 150bhp is a decent output for this engine in NA form...

i do like the way i dont have much power until i get to 5500rpm, with my red line at 8...

Thanks for your reply.

So other than the Jenveys, ECU & cams is everything else standard? No head work, up-rated valve springs, verniers etc?

davew823 - 29/3/17 at 11:15 AM

If you have a big port for road use, increase the CR by a full point. The 4AGE likes to rev, a lite wt flywheel really helps. Mild porting on the intake and you can open the exhaust 2 or 3 mm along with three angle valve job. Standard hop-up like cams and headers, and use a "GOOD" head gasket. With a relatively small investment you can reach 140 to 150 HP. Also visit the 4AGE club, for ideas. Dave W