Board logo

Zetec Thermostat housing Sensor thread
tims31 - 18/5/17 at 07:16 PM

Sorry another Zetec thermostat housing question (Blacktop), I have bought a replacement off ebay as mine was leaking and I guess from all the posts it is a common fault and didnt seem to be from the seal or pipework.

The new housing has arrived but both the sensor housings are blocked off, I assume it is alright if careful to drill and tap the thread for the ECU sensor in the top but does anyone know the thread please, I guess 1/4bsp but would like someone to confirm please...big_wasa?

Anyone else had problems doing this?

Pictures of your replacement tapped would be good, did you remove the split plastic rim around the top?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Thanks

[Edited on 18/5/17 by tims31]

obfripper - 18/5/17 at 10:58 PM

The early sensor is p/n 4323633, and is 3/8x18tpi and npt form thread.
The housing you have is for a later focus, and the blank is for a push fit sensor, you'll need to measure up to check there is sufficent material to tap into.
It may be possible to drill just the centre and clip in the later type sensor p/n 1484876, clip p/n 1132349.

Dave

stevebubs - 19/5/17 at 12:07 AM

I fitted a silvertop housing instead...

birdii - 19/5/17 at 07:03 AM

Would it be possible to make a push in blank and then put a thread down the centre for the standard sensor? I have a lathe so tooling is not an issue.

I expect the push in sensor has an o ring on the OD and is retained by some form of circlip?

Any pictures of this type of sensor?

SJ - 19/5/17 at 07:44 AM

I drilled and tapped mine for the temp sensor for my Acewell dash. Pretty sure it was 1/4" BSP for the Acewell.

I used sealant when fitting the sensor and it has been fine.

Stu

tims31 - 19/5/17 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
I fitted a silvertop housing instead...

Didn't know if these fitted, is this the metal version. I thought they were quite rare now.

I think there is enough meat on the housing to thread through, if I can get the right thread I may give it a go. I have connected the Acewell sensor into the thermostat out line using an adapter.

Daf - 19/5/17 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by birdii
Would it be possible to make a push in blank and then put a thread down the centre for the standard sensor? I have a lathe so tooling is not an issue.

I expect the push in sensor has an o ring on the OD and is retained by some form of circlip?

Any pictures of this type of sensor?

That's exactly what I did, I originally drilled and tapped it but was never fully convinced that it would last - it just didn't "feel" right! I made a small hollow threaded insert the same size as the Ford push fit sensor and screwed my sensor to that.

birdii - 19/5/17 at 09:51 AM

Don't suppose you kept any records of the dimensions for the part you made?

I have an early plastic thermostat housing which i plan to replace as it leaks around the outlet. I either have the wrong outlet or im missing a part as when its all assemble the thermostat isnt 'nipped' up by the outlet cap consequently it leaks. Its bodged at the moment by using two thermostat seals to fill the gap.

Dan

Daf - 19/5/17 at 11:01 AM

I didn't I'm afraid, but it was an identical copy of the original ford push fit part - I added an extra o-ring groove though for good luck! I've found another picture though of it not fitted.

tims31 - 19/5/17 at 11:29 AM

Hmm, will have to have a go at turning one of those.

Anychance you could measure the dimensions please?

obfripper - 19/5/17 at 12:52 PM

The coolant sensor daf used is a rover k series one, i think the emerald and omex ecu kits come with those and will not work with a ford oe ecu but can be made to work with aftermarket ones.
The original ford sensor is larger than the hole for the clip in type, so will not screw into an adaptor unless repositioned above the hole.
The clip in type sensor is electrically the same as the screw in one, so is the easiest route to replacement.
Some care is needed opening up the blanked part of the hole, but the bit the seal bears on is already cut out so should work fine.

Dave

big_wasa - 19/5/17 at 01:46 PM

On the silver top there are two sensors. 3/8 npt and 1/8 npt From memory.

I wouldn't try and screw in a sensor to a push fit housing.

I need one as well as mine is split so I may have a look around tomorrow to see what I can find.

What sort do you have ?

tims31 - 19/5/17 at 07:23 PM

Mines the early mondeo blacktop version (plastic) with the two sensors top and side/bottom. 3/8 on top and 1/8 side/bottom.

Going to send this one back and see if I can get another one from a scrappy and a new seal.

I hope to get the leak sorted before the IVA, one less issue to deal with

[Edited on 19/5/17 by tims31]

big_wasa - 19/5/17 at 08:15 PM

I don't know what breakers yard you use but my favourite is closing down in a few weeks

tims31 - 19/5/17 at 08:50 PM

Not Slewyns, went there a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked a bit bare

Angel Acevedo - 20/5/17 at 01:22 PM

Is there enough space/meat in the housing for a Rivnut?
Wouldl it hold if you are VERY careful while fitting rivnut of appropriate diameter.
Maybe a dab of sealant too to ensure leak free fit.

tims31 - 20/5/17 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Is there enough space/meat in the housing for a Rivnut?
Wouldl it hold if you are VERY careful while fitting rivnut of appropriate diameter.
Maybe a dab of sealant too to ensure leak free fit.

I suspect trying to put a rivnut in it would just shatter the plastic housing, it is very brittle.

big_wasa - 20/5/17 at 10:05 PM

If you want a push fit sensor then I've got one.