Board logo

fitting temp sensor is water jacket bung
john_p_b - 23/5/17 at 11:09 AM

on a pinto engine, is there any reason this is a bad idea? a 3/8 - 1/4 adapter seems readily available and it seems as good an idea as getting an adapter in a hose?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 23/5/17 at 12:45 PM

Not the best place best place is on or near the top hose outlet on the engine as it's the highest point .

john_p_b - 23/5/17 at 01:38 PM

i understand it's not the absolute best place but was just curious how bad an idea it is. i'm actually thinking for my sierra cosworth, i've got a secondary temperature gauge but being a bit anal i still want the factory one to work too so trying to think of a reasonable place to fit it.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 23/5/17 at 02:14 PM

It will work but the temp will be different to one at the top of the engine approx 10 degs difference as a rough guess (lower) if your only having it as an extra temp reading then I see no reason why not .

coyoteboy - 24/5/17 at 11:51 AM

Lower temp, much much longer to warm up (hence running rich all the time and potentially seeing bore wash issues if it's a lot cooler).

john_p_b - 24/5/17 at 12:06 PM

thanks guys i'll perhaps go back to the drawing board with this idea and start again!

CosKev3 - 24/5/17 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Lower temp, much much longer to warm up (hence running rich all the time and potentially seeing bore wash issues if it's a lot cooler).

He states above its only for a gauge