Board logo

Type 9 brass saddle
Rena - 26/5/17 at 01:52 PM

Hi,

During the winter I have installed a brass saddle from Burton Power in my type 9 gearbox.
http://www.burtonpower.com/hd-brass-saddle-gearlever-to-selector-shaft-type-9-e-gbt9539.html

I also have a quickshift-kit.
When I took the car for a test drive the reverse lock didnīt work and the shitfter was loose. I could put it in reverse without pushing the shifter down.

Any idea how to solve it? Change back to the plastic one?

See this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaWV6l2Jz7Q

Quinten - 26/5/17 at 01:59 PM

Fitted it the right way around?

It also says on the Burton page: "Made with elongated ears which must be crimped when fitted." did you do that?

Rena - 26/5/17 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Quinten
Fitted it the right way around?

It also says on the Burton page: "Made with elongated ears which must be crimped when fitted." did you do that?

Yes I did, But maybe not enough.
It should be crimped around the " axle" from the gearbox, right? If you crimp it too much it's impossible to fit it.

rusty nuts - 26/5/17 at 04:36 PM

I suspect it's more likely to be the quick shift at fault, easy to test just refit the original gear-lever assembly. There's no need to buy a quick shift if you have the original gear-lever as it can be easily modified to make it a quick shift for pennies , the same can be said for a remote extension.

Rena - 26/5/17 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I suspect it's more likely to be the quick shift at fault, easy to test just refit the original gear-lever assembly. There's no need to buy a quick shift if you have the original gear-lever as it can be easily modified to make it a quick shift for pennies , the same can be said for a remote extension.

It worked like a charm last year, will replace it with the plastic one tomorrow.

rusty nuts - 26/5/17 at 07:50 PM

Are you sure the saddle hasn't slipped around the selector shaft?

Rena - 26/5/17 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Are you sure the saddle hasn't slipped around the selector shaft?

Nope, bit I don't think so, it must be something with a missing part for the quickshift.
I have http://www.burtonpower.com/quickshift-gearlever-kit-type-9-5-speed-ford-sierra-qs03k.html but I can't see the plastic bush and not the metal clip, so something there must be missing.

rusty nuts - 27/5/17 at 05:29 AM

I wonder if the gear lever has slipped lower than it should be so the reverse stop no longer engages? Also check that the reverse stop hasn't fallen out , it's a wedge shaped piece of metal IIRC .

Rena - 27/5/17 at 09:47 AM

I think I have sorted the problem out.
As I wrote before I bought my cars as an unfinished project. Last season I thought the gearbox worked great and problems with gearchanging was because the gearbox was old. But know I realise there are parts missing.

I think the only thing thatīs mounted is the distanceplate between the gearbox and the gear lever.
I donīt have the nylon bushing and I donīt think I have the small metalclip.
Can anyone help me see if the metalclip is missing?

So, I have to buy another kit from burton OR buy a complete quickshift lever. I have seen Quaife have one, but to expensive, do cheaper ones work?

David Jenkins - 27/5/17 at 10:51 AM

Does this link help at all? Dave Andrews quick-shift

Rena - 29/5/17 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Does this link help at all? Dave Andrews quick-shift

No, but I thing I have solved the problem. Ordered parts, hopefully will get them before weekend.

mcerd1 - 30/5/17 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rena
So, I have to buy another kit from burton OR buy a complete quickshift lever. I have seen Quaife have one, but to expensive, do cheaper ones work?

The cheaper / DIY versions should work (can't speak for every version of course...) - its just moving the pivot point so really not that complicated

The Quaife versions are very nice though - all metal with a spherical bearing, proper spring and 2 different positions for the pivot
not cheap mind you (new ones are a lot more than I paid for mine a few years back)

If you keep your eyes open second hand Caterham levers sometimes come up for a bit less - its the same Quaife lever but with a UNF thread on the end instead of metric

rusty nuts - 30/5/17 at 05:10 PM

I made my remote and quick shift following David's link , works really well and it was cheap. Total cost was less than Ģ1.00 using a few bits from my scrap bin. I would say it is a better design than some I have seen . Hope it works out for the OP