Board logo

Fiat FIRE rwd gearbox?
accutherm - 12/8/17 at 08:32 AM

Hi, does anyone know of a rwd gearbox that will go on the fiat engine without too much hassle?

I am putting a 1.2 8v fire engine in my reliant kitten, the original plan was to use the standard gearbox (like the mc750 guys) but im starting to worry about longevity and seen as i intend to use the car regularly a 5th gear can't hurt.

Cheers for any advice

[Edited on 12/8/17 by accutherm]

motivforz - 12/8/17 at 09:19 AM

There's a polish kit car in development that uses the fire engine as a transverse mid engine. It uses the standard 5spd gearbox as you find in seicentos and Punto's. I've had a Punto in the family from new and it's on 140k, and 2nd synchro is going but apart from that it's fine so I wouldn't worry too much about longevity unless you're massively tuning for power.

accutherm - 12/8/17 at 09:33 AM

Ah sorry i meant the standard reliant gearbox. They have been known to be unreliable with the standard engine and the 1.2 fiat has 50% more hp.

theconrodkid - 12/8/17 at 11:05 AM

I am pretty sure the fiat 124 / lada riva box will fit straight on, dont think they are on every street corner tho.

rachaeljf - 12/8/17 at 11:51 AM

FIRE engines are not the same bellhousing pattern as either the Lampredi dohc or sohc engine families. I know of no north-south applications of the FIRE engines. I would say you need an adapter plate and a gearbox of your choice.

accutherm - 12/8/17 at 12:22 PM

I can get a adapter plate made, id need one for the reliant gearbox anyway. My problem is more with the clutch assembly. With the reliant gearbox i know what bits id need but for another gearbox im completely clueless .

Im not going to be pushing any more then 80hp or so so the gearbox doesn't exactly have to be sturdy.

Dopdog - 12/8/17 at 05:36 PM

You need to look at the regs for the 750 Formula as this is the engine they use and i think it specifies the gearbox you can use.

scimjim - 12/8/17 at 06:43 PM

It might be worth looking at the Liege rally cars - I think they swap out the Reliant box for a Suzuki Jimny 5 speed box? Doesn't help with your query directly as you'll still need an adaptor plate but may be the smallest/lightest/cheapest rwd box that will take the extra power and you know it'll fit in the chassis?

[Edited on 12/8/17 by scimjim]

[Edited on 12/8/17 by scimjim]

accutherm - 12/8/17 at 06:46 PM

Cheers ill look into the jimny box. Id never considered them