Board logo

Supercharging 4age....can I get away with?
max2503 - 29/12/17 at 09:54 PM

Running a 4age 16v atm, and while I was thinking of upgrading to a 20v head, I wondered wether I could play with slapping a m45 supercharger on for abit of poke.

Question is...could I get away with basic boost on standard engine? And could I also get away without an intercooler?

wylliezx9r - 29/12/17 at 10:18 PM

I wouldn't scrimp on the intercooler, without it you will have high intake temps and it won't make very good power. It will make the conversion a big waste of money. I'm not that familiar with 4age engines but the general rule is lowish boost and internals can remain standard.

bi22le - 29/12/17 at 11:35 PM

Have a good search on here and read bill Sherwood's page.

Depending on engine (there are several 16v engines) depends on what power you can get away with.

As a general statement, an M45 will provide about 7psi of boost and a stock 16v will be fine.

As a comparison, I am very very slowly planning to fit a M62 to my 20v. I'll be using stock rods and pistons from an old 16v engine. With a decompression plate I'll be hoping for 14psi+ and north of 200-250bhp.

There are crazy people in NZ claiming to be turbo stock 4agzes with 500bhp.

bi22le - 29/12/17 at 11:37 PM

Oh, and regardless, you need to cool the
air or it will sap all of your power.

Ivan - 30/12/17 at 02:31 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to swap in a 4 AGZE motor and overdrive the supercharger that comes with it - you moight even get the intercooler with the new motor. 200 hp should be easy to get.

max2503 - 1/1/18 at 07:09 PM

I was just thinking of the idea after seeing HKS Supercharging Kit for the 4age.

By the looks of the kit, there is no intercooler between the charger and the engine. I don't fancy cutting holes in the bodywork to mount an intercooler.

bi22le - 1/1/18 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by max2503
I was just thinking of the idea after seeing HKS Supercharging Kit for the 4age.

By the looks of the kit, there is no intercooler between the charger and the engine. I don't fancy cutting holes in the bodywork to mount an intercooler.
k

This on eBay or somewhere you could send a link?

I would be interested in its design, I don't want to buy it.

max2503 - 2/1/18 at 12:09 AM

Description
Description

Hopefully the photo will upload, i believe the kit fitted a standard engine, and that they are very rare.