Board logo

Newbie here, Rover T series question
geordie40 - 15/4/18 at 02:56 PM

Hi

Im currently looking at a Robin hood super spec with a Rover T series engine mated to a Ford gearbox and wanted peoples opinion and experience with them. Budget is only about 5K (or thats all the wife will allow!!). They dont seem to have been as popular an engine as the Fords was there a reason for this and is there anything i should e looking out for when viewing.

Thanks

wylliezx9r - 15/4/18 at 04:32 PM

Tbh I'd be more worried about the robin hood chassis rather than the engine. They're not known for their sportiness and are pretty heavy. Ok for touring but not a serious sports car in my opinion.

[Edited on 15/4/18 by wylliezx9r]

geordie40 - 15/4/18 at 04:43 PM

Thanks for the reply but my budget can't stretch to far. This is a link to the advert https://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C964472

I drive a diesel insignia everyday so looking for a little something extra

theconrodkid - 15/4/18 at 05:19 PM

as above, the chassis is a bit meh, i seem to remember they sold it as a kit including the engine back in the day.
if i was you, i would have a punt round on owners club websites and the likes of fleaby but make sure they are properly registered and not a dutton that looks like an MK etc.

cliftyhanger - 15/4/18 at 07:19 PM

Just been nosey. Did teh MoT history check, and it has had several advisories about power steering leaks etc. Nothing major, but surprised about it being fitted with power steering!

geordie40 - 15/4/18 at 07:26 PM

Hi cliftyhanger I haven't been to see it yet but will chk not history and ask the question. The current owner was the original builder, mot runs out in July so may ask for new mot if I decide to buy

Dingz - 15/4/18 at 07:28 PM

Ask some questions on the Rhocar site, lots of experience on there. Think you will find the pas pump is left on the engine but not connected to anything, just a closed circuit.

geordie40 - 15/4/18 at 08:04 PM

Hi dingz, I have tried to register on the Rhocar site but it's not working atm hence the question here. Thanks for top on steering pump

ian locostzx9rc2 - 15/4/18 at 08:34 PM

Nice little striker for sale on here link to ad

demonbarber33 - 15/4/18 at 10:22 PM

Hi I had one had clutch/gearbox issues due to poorly designed adaptor plate, not worth taking a chance on

[Edited on 15/4/18 by demonbarber33]