Board logo

Ford Pinto 1.6 & 4 carbs from Honda CBR1000
xico_ze54 - 24/5/18 at 07:25 PM

hi all

what is expected if we put a 4-carb set from a 1990 Honda CBR 1000 F into an old Pinto 1.6 from 1983 came from a Sierra?

this will work? not work? works with some modifications? expect what?

did someone tryed before?

please don't say it don't worth the work, or could be better if use a 2.0 Pinto. that mentioned above are the material I have in my garage and want to know if the "cocktail" would result in something good without spend any money other than a new intake manyfold.

aprectiate some suggestions.

thank you.
Amadeu

SJ - 24/5/18 at 07:49 PM

Plenty of people have put bike carbs on Pintos to good effect.

What size are the venuris? My guess would be 34mm+ which will be fine for a 1.6.

You'll need to change jet sizes and maybe change needle height [if possible on that carb] to get it running well but not insurmountable.

The hardest bit is making or buying manifold - I guess you'll need a vacuum take off for the distributor.

Stu

Nickp - 25/5/18 at 05:07 AM

Personally I think the effort will probably outweigh the performance benefit on a std 1.6 Pinto.
Any decent twin choke weber will supply it with plenty of air and fuel.
They will look and sound good though

stuff - 25/5/18 at 12:46 PM

Go for it! Make/buy manifold and carbs and fit them to the 1.6 and get it running. If not in power, you will at least gain i knowledge. Later on you car always buy a 2.0 engine and use the manifold and carbs on the new engine.

(I am preparing a yummy 2.0 pinto. Will complete the car build with a stock 2.0 pinto and swap as soon as i have got the plates. Naughty me
Got hold of "newly" built pinto engine done by a professional rally tuner: Slightliy bored block. New bearings, gaskets and pistons. Schrick 274 cam. Ported head. Adjusted and balanced and then just sat in a shed for a couple of years. Price? 200£ :O

Started to complete it with 42mm carbs from cbr1100xx. Custom manifold from danstengineering. Ignition system still to be decided)