Board logo

Zetec / ST170 water pump reverse....
Nickp - 20/7/18 at 06:10 AM

I'm getting to grips with the ancillaries on my Quantum ST170 engine swap.
I've got the alternator mounted low at the front of the engine and the simplest obvious way to run the belt is in a triangular configuration tensioned by the alternator. I'll need to make a new ribbed pulley from the 2 I have, but that's OK.
However, running like this has the pump going the wrong way and I'd rather not try to add another idler pulley to get round this.
There seems to be reverse impellers available, has anyone had any experience with these on an ST170? Are they easy to fit and do they stay on the shaft OK?

Description
Description

[Edited on 20/7/18 by Nickp]

[Edited on 20/7/18 by Nickp]

FamilyGuy - 20/7/18 at 01:15 PM

You could relocate the tensioner pulley, that's what I've done. Knocked up a bracket with some 5mm angle iron.

big_wasa - 20/7/18 at 03:15 PM

Popular on the banger racers, I am sure you could get one pre fitted by the likes of ike engineering.

SJ - 20/7/18 at 03:18 PM

quote:

You could relocate the tensioner pulley, that's what I've done. Knocked up a bracket with some 5mm angle iron.

I did something similar - not as tidy as Familyguy's though,and mine just has the one pulley - the one in the right on the pic. The belt then goes straight across to the alternator

I left off the front alloy gubbins and belt covers though, which would have impeded the belt.

Stu

[Edited on 20/7/18 by SJ]

Pigsy - 20/7/18 at 09:41 PM

Thanks for the tip on IKEngineering. I have just bought a Zetec Blacktop water pump impeller for my st170. It has the same rotation as the crank shaft, so a shorter belt can be used.

Pigsy - 20/7/18 at 09:43 PM

PS: They sell on ebay at the same price as direct meaning you can pay with PayPal.

big_wasa - 21/7/18 at 08:30 AM

I meant if you contacted him he would probably supply and fit one to a new pump.

Let us know how you get on ? I am toying with the idea of one for mine.

Nickp - 21/7/18 at 08:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Your alternator is where my engine mount needs to be so that setup isn't an option for me unfortunately.

I've spoken to MKF engineering, who sell the reverse impellers on ebay, and apparently they're easy enough to fit. So I'll be going down this route with a new pump I think.

big_wasa - 21/7/18 at 11:22 AM

That bracket looks nicely done, my mid engine setup was similar but now I am going rwd it’s going to get reworked. Mkf are cheaper on the pulley as well.

Stick some info up on how it goes.

Pigsy - 12/8/18 at 11:20 PM

I fitted my own from ike engineering. Really not that difficult. The centre shaft is the same as the impeller already on there. My original impeller was cast steel and using a visa and a wheel puller it easily came off. I refitted the new impeller by squeezing it on in the vice jaws. Just don’t push it too far on to the impeller carrier. It will jam on its back plate. Hope this helps.

Pigsy - 13/8/18 at 06:49 AM

Visa is actually vice.