Board logo

New gearbox oil?
bi22le - 26/9/18 at 10:20 PM

I have owned my car for a while (just under 10 years or so) and have never changed the gearbox oil.

It has not even moved for over 2 years but its slowly coming back together after a slow check and rebuild. All fluids will be flushed and changed and I would like to do the gearbox as well. Is this an easy task?

I can get access to the fill point so I was considering pumping it out if its too much trouble?

Its a type 9 BTW, and I am assuming that the LCB collectinve will be suggesting I should change the oil. . . .

rusty nuts - 27/9/18 at 06:45 AM

There is no drain bung , I have in the past used a vacuum pump with a short length of washer tubing to remove most of the oil although if the box was out I would hang it from the bell housing end . I'm sure that the level plug position was altered by Ford on later type 9s to improve lubrication but can't remember where . Think the boxes were supposed to be filled for life but not a bad idea to change the oil.

steve m - 27/9/18 at 06:47 AM

Is the gearbox in the car? as if its not, just leave it with the propshaft end in a bucket

if not pumping out is the only option, but you will need a very good pump as the oil is very thick

steve

David Jenkins - 27/9/18 at 08:06 AM

I used a big oil syringe that I bought from a car show ages ago - big plastic thing with some flexible hose at the end. Looks a bit medical, but it got everything out. I removed the gearbox lid to make it easier to get into all the corners.

Similar to this.

[Edited on 27/9/18 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 27/9/18 at 08:14 AM

I've not changed manual gearbox oil on my daily tin tops before. When I built my Sierra based MK Indy I left the oil in the Type 9 manual gearbox and it worked just fine. Personally (unless you've accidentally spilt a load of oil from it) I'd leave it be, get the re-assembly of the car finished and get driving.

FamilyGuy - 27/9/18 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I used a big oil syringe that I bought from a car show ages ago - big plastic thing with some flexible hose at the end. Looks a bit medical, but it got everything out. I removed the gearbox lid to make it easier to get into all the corners.

Similar to this.

[Edited on 27/9/18 by David Jenkins]

Second that... I've used these in the past without any problems.

Mr Whippy - 27/9/18 at 11:27 AM

there is no car in the world that has a gearbox last forever, 10 years old, 2 years sitting about...yeah for all the cost of oil why not?

David Jenkins - 27/9/18 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
there is no car in the world that has a gearbox last forever, 10 years old, 2 years sitting about...yeah for all the cost of oil why not?

That's what I thought - the gearbox was on my Workmate, ready for installation, so I decided to change the oil while it was an easy job. Once I'd filled the box to the right level I installed a screw plug in the lid and made a dipstick so I could check the level any time I want - but I've never felt the need to do that since I installed the gearbox!

CosKev3 - 27/9/18 at 03:34 PM

As above,for the price just bang new in

Lots of cars now have 'life long oil' in them,my VRS did but seeing as it was fitted with a drain plug and I do my own spanner work I thought I would change it at just over 100k.
Oil was very dirty,and gearbox was noticeably smoother with new oil in it

bi22le - 27/9/18 at 05:49 PM

Great idea about taking the top off, that's nice and accessable on our cars.

I'll look at getting a industrial syringe, I can get medical ones and tubes from work so I know that it won't be a problem.

britishtrident - 28/9/18 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Great idea about taking the top off, that's nice and accessable on our cars.

I'll look at getting a industrial syringe, I can get medical ones and tubes from work so I know that it won't be a problem.

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol ---- in any event unlike engine oil or brake fluid gearbox oil won't deteriorate unless you put a relative huge number of miles on the car or subject it to significant number really hard track laps .

Oddified - 29/9/18 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol .

Not on a type 9, they're behind a set screw in the side of the main casing at the front.

Ian

bi22le - 30/9/18 at 09:41 PM

I'm glad you have said this, I took the to off a few months back and didn't notice anything flying off which meant I could of been in deep doo doo!!

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol .

Not on a type 9, they're behind a set screw in the side of the main casing at the front.

Ian