Board logo

Raceline sump Blacktop Vs Silvertop question?
Regan_M - 3/1/19 at 03:36 PM

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 2nd hand Raceline sump that was previously installed on a Blacktop zetec in a Ginette although I have a 2.0 Silvertop. The sump has also come with the original blacktop windage tray that bolts to the Raceline baffle tray in the sump where as in a Silvertop the windage tray bolts to the studs coming often crank main bearing caps.

My question is could I use the Blacktop windage tray setup in my Silvertop?

The reason I ask is that I don't have the Silvertop windage tray to go with my engine and I don't have the crank main cap bolt/studs that it mounts to either.

Thanks,
Matt

[Edited on 3/1/19 by Regan_M]

big_wasa - 3/1/19 at 04:15 PM

There is no blacktop windage tray it’s the sump casting itself. If it’s round it’s a silvertop tray if it’s flatter with wings ( the best I can describe it) then it’s racelines own windage tray. This goes over another flat tray that fits in the sump and is separated with little alloy spacers.

If it clears the bearing caps then you could use it as is but I would think it should foul on the bolts that hold the tray down.

To do it properly, remove the blind nuts in the sump and fit fresh bearing cap bolts. Bolt the windage tray to these and the ends will poke through where you remove the blind nuts.

Offer it up and have a look.

big_wasa - 3/1/19 at 04:20 PM

Just to add if it was me,

I would replace the four cap heads that hold the tray in the sump with slim button fasteners. I would then stick the bearing cap bolts in the lathe and shave a couple of mm of to get the clearance needed.

mikeb - 3/1/19 at 04:44 PM

No expert on raceline sumps but was looking at one for sale last month. I got the impression from that advert that the cast aluminum part is the same for blacktop slilvertop and raceline sell a different windage tray for the different variants, so it probably worth giving them a call as it might be easy to get the right part. I can't find the advert and it was new years so I might have got confused

Regan_M - 3/1/19 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
There is no blacktop windage tray it’s the sump casting itself. If it’s round it’s a silvertop tray if it’s flatter with wings ( the best I can describe it) then it’s racelines own windage tray. This goes over another flat tray that fits in the sump and is separated with little alloy spacers.

If it clears the bearing caps then you could use it as is but I would think it should foul on the bolts that hold the tray down.

To do it properly, remove the blind nuts in the sump and fit fresh bearing cap bolts. Bolt the windage tray to these and the ends will poke through where you remove the blind nuts.

Offer it up and have a look.

Yes the windage tray that have is the Raceline made one for use with a blacktop. I will mock fit the sump with this in place and if it clear the crank main caps I will use as essentially its doing exactly the same job however if theres contact I will have to source
a Silvertop windage tray and the main cap bolts/stud which I can't find anywhere....