Board logo

ST170 on bike carbs, first power run.
Nickp - 9/2/19 at 09:23 PM

Just had the Quantum for a power run and to check for safe fueling at Autotronix Developments near Sheffield.
No adjustments made and straight out of the box it's making 178.6bhp @ 6548rpm and 164lb/ft @4609.
Happy with that from a £100 ST170 engine on ZX6R bike carbs.
Fueling was safe but a tad lean at the top end so gonna go with new 2.15mm mains (currently at 2.1mm drilled).
Should make 180+bhp with a few tweaks. Plenty for an 800kg fwd car with no LSD

SJ - 9/2/19 at 10:24 PM

Nice! I've been delighted with the zx6 carbs on my blacktop.

Stu

Nickp - 9/2/19 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Nice! I've been delighted with the zx6 carbs on my blacktop.

Stu

Yep, mine are smooth as

Barksavon - 10/2/19 at 09:29 AM

Good effort, well done, gives me something to aim for with my ST170 transplant. Have you retained the VVT?

Nickp - 10/2/19 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Good effort, well done, gives me something to aim for with my ST170 transplant. Have you retained the VVT?

Yeah, picked up a 2nd hand VVTPRO, seems to work well

Daf - 11/2/19 at 08:51 AM

That's a damn good figure that is, I too managed 178 from mine although I'm on TBs not carbs

Nickp - 11/2/19 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
That's a damn good figure that is, I too managed 178 from mine although I'm on TBs not carbs

Yeah I think it's bang on the money. The carbs are only 37mm IIRC but seem to work really well, and only cost me £40. The power and torque curves are really smooth. I'd post them up but can't seem to load pics onto here these days

Oddified - 11/2/19 at 09:14 PM

Very good, great power/torque for minimal outlay.

Kind of puts tuning something like an old pinto into perspective with people spending a lot more money than that tuning them and not getting those results...

Ian

Nickp - 11/2/19 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Very good, great power/torque for minimal outlay.

Kind of puts tuning something like an old pinto into perspective with people spending a lot more money than that tuning them and not getting those results...

Ian

Cheers mate, it's been another learning curve. First Ford, first bike carbs and first VVT controller. A bit of an odd combination, but it works and I'm pleased with the results

Andrewm - 28/4/19 at 06:33 PM

Just considering an ST170 motor for my Locost- currently running a 1300 xflow on twin 40s in hillclimbs but need more power. This seems like an appropriate post to hi-jack, so does anyone have any experience of the ST170 on twin 40s?

Nickp - 29/4/19 at 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Andrewm
Just considering an ST170 motor for my Locost- currently running a 1300 xflow on twin 40s in hillclimbs but need more power. This seems like an appropriate post to hi-jack, so does anyone have any experience of the ST170 on twin 40s?

Why go to twin 40's when you can get great results with very cheap bike carbs? I paid £40 for my ZX6R ones and used the existing part of the inlet manifold that bolts to the head. Main jets drilled out to 2.15mm and it made a very smooth and tractable 178bhp Don't even consider locking the VVT or switching it, get a proper VVT controller otherwise you're not using the engines full potential.