Board logo

rust in coolant - suitable flush required?
bikecarbfred - 27/3/19 at 06:39 AM

after rebuild noticed rust in coolant as the head and block were washed with water prior to build and left to dry which developed all orange within them

everytime thermortat opens,, the water washes out the rust into coolant tank

im yet to use anti freeze. ive ordered 5 litres.

im also considering using thermocure 5 litres coolant flush for £22.00

anyone ever used thermocure?

ive drained all the rusty water out but obviously there wil be some still in engine block.

can been sat for three weeks, wondering what's likely hood it will eat the head gasket.

Bluemoon - 27/3/19 at 06:49 AM

Citric acid flush... Cheap and works well..

bikecarbfred - 27/3/19 at 07:04 AM

just bought some wynns rust rad flush, 3 bottles.

its a clean build so not wanting to take thermostat out and make a mess.

will use one bottles, warms engine up... , drain it. then go through other two bottles. warming engine up.
should be able to do it hopefully all in 30 minutes. just be careful not to burn hands.

rusty nuts - 27/3/19 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred

im yet to use anti freeze. ive ordered 5 litres.

What do you expect just using water??

bikecarbfred - 27/3/19 at 08:44 AM

i was told just to put water in on the first warm up on rebuild

40inches - 27/3/19 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred
i was told just to put water in on the first warm up on rebuild

That's just to check for leaks, saves coolant if there is a leak.
If the system is leak free then it should be drained and refilled immediately.

djtom - 27/3/19 at 12:36 PM

Citric acid works well. £5 worth of crystals from Amazon gives you enough to repeat several times. Fill up with water, dump a load of CA crystals into the header tank, drive it until hot, drain it and flush through. Repeat if necessary, then flush through (I hooked it up to the garden hose until what was coming out ran clear). Then fill with antifreeze.

Mr Whippy - 27/3/19 at 01:08 PM

save your money, just flush it with the hose till it goes clear and then use antifreeze, it will be fine after that, change every 3 years

bikecarbfred - 27/3/19 at 07:08 PM

i got worried this morning when i read on a forum it will destroy the headgasket.
panicking now until the flush arrives lol

gone through all th ehardwork of building an engine n something so trivial can bring it crashing down,

ive left the car sat in garage for 3 weeks since first warm up, hopefully thats not long enough to destroy the gasket.

Mr Whippy - 28/3/19 at 07:23 AM

yeah water & rust really attacks mineral fibre and aluminium, it's like alien acid blood to it