Board logo

ST170 checking VVT?
cliftyhanger - 18/4/19 at 07:15 AM

Had my spitfire apart over the winter to fix a few chassis cracks (now reinforced) and repair the rear after it got driven into...

I digress. Took it for teh MoT yesterday, passed OK but it felt a bit down on power. I had the engine out to do the above work, but wondering if the VVT is working. Is there a way of checking? I mean physically, the ECU has not been fiddled with.
I Thought about setting the spark table to (eg) 20 degrees, and using a timing light on the cam pulley? would that work? Or other suggestions?

I did change the air filter from on intake pancake type to airbox with cold air feed, but I don't think that will do a lot to tuning? Seems to be popping a bit on over run now too....

(I probably need to employ the lappy and wife to check, but after ideas first!)

Ta

Daf - 18/4/19 at 09:41 AM

Disconnect the solenoid and see if it's any different to drive?

cliftyhanger - 18/4/19 at 09:58 AM

I guess that is the ghetto test! Will give it a go..
Would like to be a bit more "technical" and see it advance and retard. Will have a look on Saturday, next time I have a free moment....

I would really like to find 2 bits of info from the ST170. The factory ignition map, and the VVT map, (though I think somebody has produced a VVT version, ME?)

Daf - 18/4/19 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I guess that is the ghetto test! Will give it a go..
Would like to be a bit more "technical" and see it advance and retard. Will have a look on Saturday, next time I have a free moment....

I would really like to find 2 bits of info from the ST170. The factory ignition map, and the VVT map, (though I think somebody has produced a VVT version, ME?)

Yes it's ME - they do the VVT pro which has a map for the VVT, I'm sure I've seen it online somewhere I will have a look

cliftyhanger - 19/4/19 at 12:24 PM

Fret not, it is a ME221 ECU, and I have not played with their VVT settings. The other tuning data was a bit hot and miss, even after it had been on their rollers but I had got the map pretty sorted before the engine came out over the winter.