Board logo

Running lean
Pro424vt - 26/7/19 at 12:22 PM

First some info on the build. It's a duratec 2.0 with a 2.5 vvt head, vvt delete. Crower cams and valve springs, forged bottom end on a stock crank. I'm running 40mm bike carbs from a 01 zx9r. Currently running it to about 8000 rpm but it gets really lean at the top end and I have 180 jets in it. No coughing or sputtering, no running issues at all other than the plugs are ghost white after 10 laps. I havent run an air cleaner to this point and I can see a cloud of vapor outside the carbs outside the carbs at the end of the straights. Is this causing my lean condition or am I way off on jetting?

cliftyhanger - 26/7/19 at 03:11 PM

You need to get to a rolling road experienced with bike carbs, or if you want to DIY fit a wideband sensor.
I think you may be lucky to still have a running engine, very easy to melt a piston with a lean mixture and too much advance.

Pro424vt - 26/7/19 at 03:27 PM

Think I'm mapped for about 26deg max advance at 80% load and 6800 rpm. I have a wide band I'm going to install this weekend. Just wondering if I'm in the ball park for jetting.

Dingz - 26/7/19 at 08:20 PM

I think you may need bigger jets, 170 is about the start point on a pinto where you have less power. Spitting back through the carbs can be a symptom of running lean but fuel stand-off may be due to short inlet tract, the mixture is rapidly beeing sucked into the engine, valve shuts and sends a pulse backwards out of the carb. When a filter is on it’s not so noticeable.