Board logo

Zetec Clutch - Which brand?
snippy - 12/1/20 at 10:49 PM

Just wondered what peoples thoughts or experiences are with the different makes of clutches out there - Luk, QH, Borg & Beck, Valeo, Sachs, National, CCC etc. I`m looking for a new clutch kit for a Zetec 2.0 Silvertop. Prices vary from £30 up to over £100 depending on brand. There`s some good value kits out there but just wondered how reliable they are? It`s not going to be pulling the weight it did in a Mondeo but the bhp will be higher, circa 165bhp I guess. I`m using the standard flywheel too.

alfas - 13/1/20 at 07:12 AM

i would go for one of those:

Luk, QH, Borg & Beck, Valeo, Sachs for the lowest price possible.

as you said, the clutch normally has to work in a Mondeo, maybe even towing a caravan or trailer.

you are claiming to have "approx 165BHP"....so reading inbetween the lines means: you never personally dynoed the car?

conclusion: 165 =wishful thinking

99% of people in my orbit driving kitcars claimed to have a certain amount of BHP...when it was dyno-day the disapointment was wirtten in their faces.

Pintos claimed to have 150, had 110, x/flow´s claimed to have 130 had 105, zetecs claimed to have 180 had 130.....

rusty nuts - 13/1/20 at 08:29 AM

I’ve fitted clutches for over 50 years and in that time I remember two faulty clutches , both were QH , the first I couldn’t even get it into gear ,the second I managed to drive 400 yards . I’ve also had other faulty QH parts so now never use them. LUK, B and B Valero and Sachs are all good in my experience.National seem very cheap , you get what you pay for?

ttalps2000 - 13/1/20 at 08:35 AM

i have a HD AP plate in mine from Burton Power. Producing 160bhp at the flywheel, so not massive but more than standard (been on the dyno btw!)

never had an issue with it, although it can be quite bitey at time in traffic etc

r1_pete - 13/1/20 at 10:04 AM

A lot of Chinese fake QH parts hit the UK markets a few years ago, I bought some track rod ends that were clearly fake when the arrived....

Hopefully most have been eradicated now, but the message really is buy from a reputable supplier, over the counter if you can, Euro Car Parts do a good range, my local branch is next door to LuK so rarely go anywhere else now.

ttalps2000 - 13/1/20 at 10:28 AM

Euro car parts are the worst offenders for fake parts! Will never buy brakes, clutches etc from them as always had issues, despite being branded products which were just boxes with cheap crap placed in them!

loggyboy - 13/1/20 at 12:38 PM

i've never had issues with ECP for branded parts. Sounds like a internet rumour to me!

r1_pete - 13/1/20 at 01:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
i've never had issues with ECP for branded parts. Sounds like a internet rumour to me!

Over the counter you can open the parts before paying too, I never had a problem with them either...

rusty nuts - 13/1/20 at 04:31 PM

I’d like a pound for every part that was delivered by ECP when, on opening the box found an old unit, clutches, alternators , starters and brake callipers just to name a few

cliftyhanger - 13/1/20 at 06:47 PM

Be aware that Borg +Beck are just a cover name for Frontline, a cheap aftermarket company. Nothing like the B+B of old (looking at them you can tell straight away that the quality just isn't there)
So I would say LUK, Valeo would be the parts of choice. Or Motorcraft/Ford if one turns up. Too much hassle if something isn't right.

snippy - 13/1/20 at 09:17 PM

I picked the 165bhp as a guestimate so if the clutch will handle this it will be fine. (My other car with a zetec was almost at 165bhp). It`s turned into an interesting discussion though. Thanks for posting up your experiences etc. I`ve always preferred QH myself but clearly others have had issues with them. I was reading on another forum that people were reporting clutch slip on some lesser known brands too which is what prompted me to ask. Keen to know what others have used.

cliftyhanger - 14/1/20 at 08:03 AM

Years ago (my experiences go back to the early 80's) QH were just athe cheap aftermarket brand sold everywhere, not so much choice then.
QH clutchs then had a reputation for one push on the pedal and teh cover fingers staying down or bending.... Hopefully things have changed.

But I was under the impression QH disappeared a few years ago (went bankrupt in 2013). I wonder if the name, like B+B and Lucas, is now used by a company and stuck on boxes of whoever supplies the part cheapest. They don't have a company website....

Ah, bought by tetrosyl who have this on their site

Tetrosyl Group acquired the QH brand in 2013 has included developing new packaging for the entire range of products, a revised brand image and ensures continuation of supply by the preferred manufacturers and suppliers that make-up the brand portfolio.

So yes, tetrosyl designed some new packaging, and source the parts from essentially lowest bidder...

snippy - 16/1/20 at 07:41 PM

Decided to go for a Sachs Clutch kit in the end.

cliftyhanger - 17/1/20 at 09:58 AM

Good choice