Board logo

Formula 27 Query
ALJFBarker - 14/7/20 at 11:42 AM

Hi All,
Apologies if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't see one that matched what I needed exactly.

My father recently passed away and he had a formula 27 car. It passed it's MOT in September 2018, but has been off the road since then.
We had a family friend take a look and he said the brakes are siezed and will all probably need replacing, and the starter motor will need replacing (both probably because it hasn't been driven), but the main engine seems fine, bodywork and electrics all seem fine.

It is a 2.3l v6 engine, other than that we don't really know anything about it, and can't find any owners manual or anything we can use to research.

We are currently trying to decide whether it would be worth trying to get it back on the road and keep it as a summer fun car, or whether the cost of repairs will make it uneconomical and we would be better selling it.

I am struggling to find prices for these online and wondered if anyone could give me any advice given the above?

Thanks in advance.

Norfolkluegojnr - 14/7/20 at 12:41 PM

Sorry for your loss ALJFBarker - do you know if your dad was a forum member? might be some more details of the car on here.

Have you got any pictures? that'll probably help us to help you. A working, MOT'd, road ready car is always work a chunk more so it probably depends how much time and effort you want to put into the process to move the car on.

if its just brakes and starter, thats a pretty cheap fix.

ALJFBarker - 14/7/20 at 01:01 PM

No, I dont think he was, just came across here trying to find some information about the car.

The problem we have is that we have 0 mechanical ability, so it would mean getting a mechanic to take it to a garage, strip it down to find out the required parts, replace them etc. I have a feeling that the labour cost for that could end up being astronomical even if the parts aren't too much.

I have a couple of photos handy.

This when he bought it, obviously is has been sat idle for a couple of years now so needs a bit of TLC in the looks department, it's still fine but rough around the edges now.

[Edited on 14/7/20 by ALJFBarker]

Norfolkluegojnr - 14/7/20 at 01:27 PM

looks well put together to me. do you have any under bonnet pictures? we can then tell you what engine it is running (i suspect ford V6 of some type) and more about the compenents used.

Seven style cars that arent either Caterhams or Westfields will fetch anything from 4k to 10k depending on the quality of the build, whether its a live axle or independent rear, and the relevant engine/components/power outputs etc.

Most recent one I can see on LCB was up for 4k, but i havent sold a kit in a while so not sure what the current market is like.

Where about are you? a friendly builder might be able to pop by ad tell you a bit more.

ALJFBarker - 14/7/20 at 01:38 PM

Thanks, I will see if I can get a few more pictures including under the bonnet later on.

I have seen a couple of listings for them at around £4k / £5k but they are pretty old and have a much smaller engine size - I mean it went like a rocket.

I'm in the North West area, the guy who looked at it for us is in the Kit Car scene around here so is going to ask around for us also, just trying to do some independent research

Norfolkluegojnr - 14/7/20 at 01:43 PM

Its not about the size of the engine - often quite the opposite; many prefer smaller engines such as crossflows or bike engines due to the weight saving. You've probably noticed that V6 engines arent that common in sevens; thats predominantly why.

Ultimately its what its worth to you - no doubt it has a lot of sentimental value too.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do with it!