Board logo

zetec engine, wot parts will i need?
lee201283 - 11/4/03 at 12:49 PM

I have chance of a 1.6 zetec engine, could i run it with the existing conponent without converting it to take carbs? wot parts will i need of the doner car to make it run in my locost?

zetec - 11/4/03 at 01:36 PM

You may need to modify the mod the sump for better ground clearence. Poss change water pump to one which turns the right way, depend on rotation of belt and pulleys, poss relocate the alternator. The donor car will be running injection, I don't think the standard setup will fit the locost very well. Some companies are supplying bits to convert the Ford throttle body and injectors to a more slimline unit, but beware as costs can reach the same as fitting carbs/performance throttle bodies which are better in the long term. You will need the ECU but this again may not work properly if the injection is change, worth considering a unit from Emerald/Omex etc.
Worth fitting only if cheap as 1.8/2 ltr engines cheap secondhand and give more power for the same work.

andrew-theasby - 13/4/03 at 10:00 AM

I looked into it and found york kit cars to be very helpful, they sell all the gear youll need its worth giving them a ring, 01904 608899

B@man - 20/4/03 at 07:47 AM

Have a look at www.sscstylus.co.uk !

dutchsuperseven - 21/4/03 at 06:06 PM

In my Locost-clone I used a 1.8 zetec. Imodified the sump in alloy, fitted a clutch made off Mondeo(plate&cover) & sierra(bearing) parts. The intake manifold was made in-house to accept the standard Ford parts and ECU. The should be a Focus (U.S.spec) with a pressed-steel sump which is easy to modify. The Zetec is the righf choice. It's cheap, solid and looks the part! Rescued attachment MVC-002F.JPG
Rescued attachment MVC-002F.JPG

Fast Westie - 22/4/03 at 11:45 AM

Very neat plenum chamber. Is it home made?

B@man - 27/4/03 at 08:08 AM

HelloDutchsuperseven,

My dad has fitted a Ex mondeo Zetec into a spartan, again using a fabricated plenum. I've now got to sort out the Ford ECU & wiring (also Mondeo). I have a question regarding the Road Speed sensor used by the ECU Do we need it ? and if so how to get it to work with a RWD gearbox ?

dutchsuperseven - 27/4/03 at 10:12 AM

Mr. Fast Westie: Yes, The plenum chamber is home-made using 90mm stainles and 38mm steel. I made a flange which bolts up to the standard injector-locator.Inside the 90mm pipe the ends of the 38mm pipes are trumpetted.

dutchsuperseven - 27/4/03 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by B@man
HelloDutchsuperseven,

My dad has fitted a Ex mondeo Zetec into a spartan, again using a fabricated plenum. I've now got to sort out the Ford ECU & wiring (also Mondeo). I have a question regarding the Road Speed sensor used by the ECU Do we need it ?
and if so how to get it to work with a RWD gearbox ?

You dont have to use the road speed sensor. it is only used for the decelleration function of the engine management. On several Fords with EFI IV EM,s i removed the sensor (when broken). it does mot affect drivability!

I used a granada/scorpoi type 9 box which has got a road speed sensor ( electrical speedo). Rescued attachment Engine.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine.jpg

zetec - 2/5/03 at 08:55 AM

Might be of use....I used a MT75 gearbox ready fitted with a speed sensor, I've used it to run my CAI/Smiths speedo and works fine. Means you don't have to rig up magnets and sensor on your prop or diff.