Board logo

Crossflow Engine Number
rayroni - 1/10/03 at 03:39 PM

Does the crossflow have a unique engine number - I assume the 711M 6015... one is the block type with a two letter suffix describing month of manufacture - is this correct?

Does that mean the unique one to be registered on the V5 is the 4 figure one under the alternator bracket?

David Jenkins - 1/10/03 at 07:28 PM

No - that's not the unique number, that's the type code.

Look at the top of the block, next to the head gasket, just next to the exhaust manifold. You will see a little 'bump out' which should have a few letters and numbers stamped untidily on it. That's the engine number.

cheers,

David

Hornet - 2/10/03 at 08:54 AM

The suffix is what size of block m8..

AA is 1.1 or 1.3
AB is 1.6

Cheers

rayroni - 2/10/03 at 10:02 PM

I assume from that then, the engine number should be
on the horizontal face of the (upside down) bell shaped
lug next to the head, above the alternator bracket.
There ain't one there!!!

1: I know it is a pre 1970 engine 'cause its block number is
681F-6015-JA does that mean that Ford didn't bother individually
numbering the blocks in those days? (I don't believe there is any
dodgy history to it)

2: What does a JA suffix tell me?

3: What is the format of the serial number, should I need to 're-create
one?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

David Jenkins - 3/10/03 at 07:50 AM

OK - plan B!

If there isn't a number on the top of the block (and it's usually quite plain to see as long as it's clean) it may indicate that the block has been skimmed at some time in the past.

Good engine workshops will re-stamp the number somewhere else, typically on one of the lugs near the end of the block.

Don't stamp your own number without talking to the DVLA, as they keep a register of numbers.

David

steve m - 4/10/03 at 02:07 AM

i needed a number on one of my previous cars engine as the number had disapeared overnight

I went to the breakers yard, found a similar engine waiting to be scrapped, jotted the number down and duly stamped that number on to my block

rayroni - 6/10/03 at 11:37 AM

Good idea, visit to the scrappie for me!! Hope I can find a crossflow, suppose I should find one in an early fiesta.....

Can you just use normal punches - no problem stamping a cast metal block is there (it's brittle nature and all that)?

Andy

Mark H - 6/10/03 at 11:54 AM

Mine are stamped on with normal stamps. (orig skimmed off as described above)

No probs to date!

Mike Wood - 2/11/23 at 05:59 PM

Hi

How do you tell the difference please externally between an 1100cc Ford Crossflow engine and a 1300cc Crossflow?

Am I correct in that if both are 711M blocks they would have the same casting number on the side of the block - 711M 6015 AA (unlike the 1600cc 711M which is a 711M 6015 BA) and only the 1600cc would have a taller block - by approx 7/16” (if you had one to compare with) and that the engine number if it still has one just gives year of manufacture not capacity https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-manufacture-dates.html

Unless you have the original engine in car with a matching VIN plate there is no way to know the capacity - whether a 1.1 or 1.3 - or whether it is high or low compression? And removing the cylinder head might not help identify the engine as a standard 1.1 has the same bore as a standard 1.3 just the latter has a longer stroke?

The joys of looking at secondhand engines! A good argument for going with a 1600 or something else.

Just shows how comfortable you can get within small areas of knowledge - as I am OK in what to look for when trying to identify BLMC/BMC/BL A Series engines and their cylinder heads in terms of what is cast on the block and head, number of studs, what the engine number codes mean and other indicators such as the position of the oil filter and differences between factory small and large bore engines, heights of block and between inline and transverse engines.

Thanks
Mike

[Edited on 2/11/23 by Mike Wood]

rusty nuts - 3/11/23 at 11:31 AM

Measure the stroke is the best way to determine if you have an 1100 or 1300. It might be possible to measure through the spark plug hole??

Mike Wood - 5/11/23 at 10:42 AM

RustyNuts - thanks for the helpful reply.

Best wishes
Mike

[Edited on 5/11/23 by Mike Wood]