Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX14R Sump Questions
Perpetrator

posted on 7/3/23 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
ZX14R Sump Questions

Hi all, building myself a ZX14 powered Locost in the months to come & just looking at sumps for the build. I see the AB performance billet sump & the Voodoo one all they do is shorten the pickup & some oil pressure relief mods. Obviously there is also the "entry/no exit" gate inside there but other than that no swing pickup comes with the sump?

I have owned a hayabusa car before and removed the billet sump/swing pickup to fit a dry sump as they need a dry sump, but coming from that kind of setup to the ZX14 billet sumps dont even use a swing pickup? Is it just not needed?

Struggling to get my head around how really all you are getting is an additional "gate" (& the extra oil capacity) in the sump to fix the oil starvation issues??

skippad

posted on 7/3/23 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
i had one of the first sumps from AB Performance once fitted didnt have any problems with oil starvation, did quite a few trackdays
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Perpetrator

posted on 8/3/23 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for your reply. Sounds great - so maybe the specific engine & engine oiling design just doesn't need the swinging pickup then?

I've had enough oil issues in the past to know the results are binary.

russbost

posted on 9/3/23 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I only used the engine in a transverse location, so same way round as in the bike, but several of my cars were tracked very brutally in Germany & never had any issues with the bog standard sump.

Obviously a bit different with the engines sideways, but if you look at the standard pickup & sump shape, given the depth of sump, it's difficult to see how you'd get surge even with the standard setup, maybe an accusump to be on the safe side might be easier/cheaper than a billet sump setup?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Perpetrator

posted on 16/3/23 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok Cheers for your replies, its strange that the different bike engines are so different in (sump) design then. I'm still going to get a billet sump and do the oil relief valve mods though just to be on the safe side, I was just interested specifically in other peoples experiences with these but seems they are not as susceptible to surge as others!

Cheer for your inputs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.