Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice needed
roadrunner

posted on 19/6/23 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Advice needed

Advice needed.
I was out for a quick blat yesterday when I noticed the engine temps was stupid high.
I stopped and switched engine off asap.
Coolant pump cover small inlet connection had corroded and snapped off ejecting all the coolant.
Engine wouldn't re start while it was hot but did a few hours later.
Apart from obviously replacing the pump cover is there anything I need to check/do to the engine as a precaution.

Thanks in advance

Brad

nick205

posted on 19/6/23 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not worth replacing the coolant pump and not just the cover?

Make sure the impeller blades aren't/bearings aren't knackered. That may be what's to blame for dislodging the cover.

roadrunner

posted on 19/6/23 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
The cover wasn't dislodged.
If you click the link and look closely at the cover you will see a 10mm ish connection. It's that what corroded and snapped off.

linky

[Edited on 1 by roadrunner]

adithorp

posted on 19/6/23 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
The risk is, youve cooked the head gasket. Not a lot you can do short of a major strip down to check/change it. I'd put a new cover on the pump and see what happens. Keep a close eye on water temp' and oil after. You could get a combustion gas leak tester.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIDENT-Block-Tester-Kit-Fluid-/184898393617?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-29 58-0

roadrunner

posted on 19/6/23 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good plan Adi.
jacko

posted on 19/6/23 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Brad
Andy had his car over heat when he first built it it was the mech in front of the rad .
I know what you have said about the pipe but the mech is worth checking
Or replace engine with a pinto😀😀😀😀😀😀😀👍
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 19/6/23 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jacko.
Engine has been fine for three years up until this pipe broke.

Hope you are well.

bi22le

posted on 19/6/23 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
The risk is, youve cooked the head gasket. Not a lot you can do short of a major strip down to check/change it. I'd put a new cover on the pump and see what happens. Keep a close eye on water temp' and oil after. You could get a combustion gas leak tester.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIDENT-Block-Tester-Kit-Fluid-/184898393617?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-29 58-0

It's this the same as a compression tester? If not, what is the difference?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 20/6/23 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

You connect this to your expansion tank. If you have a cracked head or leaky gasket it turns the liquid green from the Co2 gasses.

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 20/6/23 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

No, it is not the same. This one use a reactive fluid.

You fill it with the blue fluid and hold it on your breather/filler tank or radiator cap opening. Run the engine. This blue fluid reacts with combustion gaz, and its colour changes if it is in contact with them. So, if after a few minutes the colour of the blue fluid turns to green, it means that there is combustion gaz in your coolant which means that head gasket failed. If it stays blue, you are fine.

I used it once and it works well. Unfortunately, my head gasket had failed.

[Edited on 20/6/23 by voucht]

adithorp

posted on 20/6/23 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
As said its a reactive fluid that detects combustion gasses. Useful when the headmaster leak is still minor and not enough to show obviously by pressurising the coolant. It socks gases through a diffuser in the bottom from the coolant res' using the bladder.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZBhC86Bj13U?feature=share3

Of course it only checks cylinder to coolant leaks. Lots of other combinations of cylinder/coolant/oil/crankcase/atmosphere are possible.

nick205

posted on 20/6/23 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
@ roadrunner

Just looked at your image (thanks for posting the link). The Ø10mm outlet maybe to be a steel part inserted into an alloy part.

Could it be the coolant didn't have enough anti-corrosion/anti-freeze in it so the steel part corroded (and alloy was OK)?

I'm sure when you refill you'll mix in correct concentrations.

(Just an observation/thought - may have affected other steel parts of the coolant system as well)

roadrunner

posted on 20/6/23 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
@ roadrunner

Just looked at your image (thanks for posting the link). The Ø10mm outlet maybe to be a steel part inserted into an alloy part.

Could it be the coolant didn't have enough anti-corrosion/anti-freeze in it so the steel part corroded (and alloy was OK)?

I'm sure when you refill you'll mix in correct concentrations.

(Just an observation/thought - may have affected other steel parts of the coolant system as well)

You might be right Nick.

There was some coolant added to the water but probably not enough.
I'll inspect the offending item in the next few days when I swap it over.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.