Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ULEZ Compliance
adrianreeve

posted on 17/9/23 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
ULEZ Compliance

Good evening all, I assume that ULEZ compliance will be the same as the donor vehicle? So if I build an MX5 based Haynes Roadster, and the donor doesn’t comply, neither will the Roadster?

Cheers

Adrian

nick205

posted on 18/9/23 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know for sure, but I'd imagine you have to prove the kit car installation has an identical installation as per the donor (how the donor was graded) for it to be banded the same. Even then it may be banded different as the kit car hasn't been type approved.
adithorp

posted on 18/9/23 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just put my Fury reg into TfL checker and it's ULEZ compliant

It's on an '08 plate so probably why, but i wondered as it doesn't have emmision figures like a tintop on the v5 (CO² g/km). I wonder what others comeback as? (Might help answer the OP's question as well)

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

adrianreeve

posted on 18/9/23 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both. I put the reg of my last kit (an Exocet with an age related ‘98 R reg), and it showed as exempt, so not sure what the rule is now?

Cheers

Schrodinger

posted on 19/9/23 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just checked my Stylus and there is no ULEZ charge but £15/day in central London

Keith
Aviemore

Sanzomat

posted on 19/9/23 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrianreeve
Thanks both. I put the reg of my last kit (an Exocet with an age related ‘98 R reg), and it showed as exempt, so not sure what the rule is now?

Cheers

I think, but not completely sure, that the checking software just uses the date of first registration so if your, say, Exocet, got a '98 age related but was registered post 2006 the software lets you off regardless of the actual emissions. I know people with Cobra replicas running classic american V8's on carbs that got through SVA on emissions due to it being an old engine but as they registered the car post 2006 they are ULEZ free. I guess for the numbers involved and the mileages driven by these cars it doesn't matter that much.

The converse is true for some cars for example S2 Lotus Elises registered as early 2002 and running Rover k series engines are ULEZ compliant even though MGFs with the same engine/ECU/emissions controls aren't. That's because Lotus tested and recorded the emissions with results low enough to qualify even though Euro4 hadn't been implemented then and AFAIK they didn't produce enough cars to have to qualify for Euro 3. MG Rover got Euro3 compliance for the MGF but even though they met the requirements of Euro4, as Euro4 wasn't in being they were labelled Euro 3 so get charged ULEZ...

There is scope, I believe, for kit cars that were registered pre 2006 and had sufficient emissions data tested/recorded at SVA and printed onto the V5 to retrospectively get ULEZ exemption recorded on the database but I suspect its a ball ache.

My GTM was first registered 2004 so has to pay. It's Rover K series probably produces sufficiently low emissions to be exempt but it wasn't recorded at SVA so I'm stuck - the price of getting it retrospectively tested and arguing its compliance would be far greater than I'd ever spend on ULEZ fees.

adrianreeve

posted on 19/9/23 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the detailed reply, unusual for red tape and bureaucracy to work in favour of kit cars!

Cheers
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:
Originally posted by adrianreeve

Cheers

I think, but not completely sure, that the checking software just uses the date of first registration so if your, say, Exocet, got a '98 age related but was registered post 2006 the software lets you off regardless of the actual emissions. I know people with Cobra replicas running classic american V8's on carbs that got through SVA on emissions due to it being an old engine but as they registered the car post 2006 they are ULEZ free. I guess for the numbers involved and the mileages driven by these cars it doesn't matter that much.

The converse is true for some cars for example S2 Lotus Elises registered as early 2002 and running Rover k series engines are ULEZ compliant even though MGFs with the same engine/ECU/emissions controls aren't. That's because Lotus tested and recorded the emissions with results low enough to qualify even though Euro4 hadn't been implemented then and AFAIK they didn't produce enough cars to have to qualify for Euro 3. MG Rover got Euro3 compliance for the MGF but even though they met the requirements of Euro4, as Euro4 wasn't in being they were labelled Euro 3 so get charged ULEZ...

There is scope, I believe, for kit cars that were registered pre 2006 and had sufficient emissions data tested/recorded at SVA and printed onto the V5 to retrospectively get ULEZ exemption recorded on the database but I suspect its a ball ache.

My GTM was first registered 2004 so has to pay. It's Rover K series probably produces sufficiently low emissions to be exempt but it wasn't recorded at SVA so I'm stuck - the price of getting it retrospectively tested and arguing its compliance would be far greater than I'd ever spend on ULEZ fees.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.