Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank filler - tips for building to pass IVA
Mike Wood

posted on 10/11/23 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank filler - tips for building to pass IVA

Hi

Can more experienced folk on here please give me a steer on what could work for IVA in terms of design, location and operation of a filler neck, vents and fuel cap, and any issues with bulkhead or top cover for a book chassis Locost to run on carbs not fuel injection?

I will be using an aluminium tank in the normal location. No boot floor below the tank.

Can I use a filler cap in top of the tank or does it have to have an external filler? If I use an external filler in the rear panel, I understand I need to use suitable flexible hose to the tank but does the filler cap have to be flush with the rear panel or can I just have something that passes the radius test? Any tips on venting the tank/cap - how to do it including where vent pipes should run, terminate and exit.

I am thinking of using a Hillman Imp vented neck - 2 1/4 inch external diameter - and matching standard Imp non-vented cap mounted in the rear panel in the often used position. Pictures of the filler neck and cap: http://austinhealeyspritemk2.blogspot.com/2023/11/locost-filler-neck.html

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 10/11/23 by Mike Wood]

nick205

posted on 10/11/23 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
SVA not IVA for me and MK Indy.

Ally tank in the same location though. Filler on the top of the tank not external. Lockable boot lid to access it. Tank had an integral vent tube on it, I fitted a fuel hose P clipped over so it ran below the base of tank.

SVA pass without comment and zero operational problems running the carb'd Pinto.

jacko

posted on 10/11/23 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
SVA not IVA for me and MK Indy.

Ally tank in the same location though. Filler on the top of the tank not external. Lockable boot lid to access it. Tank had an integral vent tube on it, I fitted a fuel hose P clipped over so it ran below the base of tank.

SVA pass without comment and zero operational problems running the carb'd Pinto.

Exactly the same as I did mine if you look in my photo archives you will see a picture of it
Jacko
Look I new photos of car

[Edited on 10/11/23 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAULD

posted on 11/11/23 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I put my filler in the back panel straight into a 90 to the tank and it is a pain to fill up with fuel running down the panel and the nozzle cutting out. I would follow the above advice if I were you.
nick205

posted on 14/11/23 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC I used one of these

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/aluminium-screw -cap-51mm-2-inch-outside-diameter-m-cap5

and a short section of staright filler hose to attach it to the tank (no welding).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.