Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are switch guards IVA friendly?
Slimy38

posted on 15/11/23 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Are switch guards IVA friendly?

I like the look of toggle switches for my electrics, in particular those with switch guard loops like these;

Do these allow a toggle switch to pass IVA, as long as the ball of doom can't hit the switch itself? I know you can get a rack of them from a Mini, would that be IVA ok?

loggyboy

posted on 15/11/23 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
That is there exact purpose.
adithorp

posted on 15/11/23 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but I'd use the switches with a rounde metal toggle so the tip passes the radius test anyway
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 15/11/23 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I used something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163907504538?hash=item2629a6099a:g:dPAAAOSw9ltdpsnT&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwF69bx6vPqgooUa9w0Mf5y4u3zSGYM7VvsAZfj9eZR0MBj 4CBSqGonW%2FEMxC9XlJHKpJgT62r1TVlQQj9M%2FUBcf5fQhNACs61uYM%2BlEFSznyDcoA6XhcadKqmeR8dGOIvUPaB4sJMPsbJSySWzYIDPMfLWaSrz0BbydN4mATR6kl5lEIDZGBZq%2FN9Drt qAjHbCWfvbMRyMzkjTmYkzWJVz07PlR8DdhH0Dxb%2BZpKdp11tnaze3dvpM8NP%2FD780mhew%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4K49cf6Yg

With a nut on either side of the dash panel, and the nut rounded off by a domed nut cover with a 6mm hole drilled in it. It passed fine and was a lot cheaper than the purpose built switch guards

Oh, I also blackened them in old oil.

Slimy38

posted on 15/11/23 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
I used something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163907504538?hash=item2629a6099a:g:dPAAAOSw9ltdpsnT&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwF69bx6vPqgooUa9w0Mf5y4u3zSGYM7VvsAZfj9eZR0MBj 4CBSqGonW%2FEMxC9XlJHKpJgT62r1TVlQQj9M%2FUBcf5fQhNACs61uYM%2BlEFSznyDcoA6XhcadKqmeR8dGOIvUPaB4sJMPsbJSySWzYIDPMfLWaSrz0BbydN4mATR6kl5lEIDZGBZq%2FN9Drt qAjHbCWfvbMRyMzkjTmYkzWJVz07PlR8DdhH0Dxb%2BZpKdp11tnaze3dvpM8NP%2FD780mhew%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4K49cf6Yg

With a nut on either side of the dash panel, and the nut rounded off by a domed nut cover with a 6mm hole drilled in it. It passed fine and was a lot cheaper than the purpose built switch guards

Oh, I also blackened them in old oil.

Oddly enough these had come to my attention too, but I couldn't figure out the fixing mechanism. A drilled nut cover sounds perfect, thanks!

sdh2903

posted on 16/11/23 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I like the look of toggle switches for my electrics, in particular those with switch guard loops like these;

Do these allow a toggle switch to pass IVA, as long as the ball of doom can't hit the switch itself? I know you can get a rack of them from a Mini, would that be IVA ok?

Despite the general consensus on these being IVA proof. I received a fail for them on my last iva. I'll need to dig out the reason but something to do with no certification of load strength. I'd already failed on a different point so didn't fight it too hard but it was something I'd never heard of before. I ended up using a 3d printed shroud which was a nonsense really.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 16/11/23 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth noting that you've got to use an M6 or higher U-bolt otherwise it doesn't meet the minimum 2.5mm radius requirement.

There's so much in the IVA which seems to vary from tester to tester, I was lucky in that I had the same guy every time!

sdh2903

posted on 16/11/23 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Fail
Fail

I imagine this is one of those random fails that no one will ever see again.

Slimy38

posted on 16/11/23 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Fail
Fail

I imagine this is one of those random fails that no one will ever see again.

Hmm, that's an interesting one. I think the fibreglass body itself might break at 40kgf, so simply mounting the switches on that would satisfy the requirement. Alternatively I could go for the switches mounted on a plate, which is mounted in turn on to some fixings that would deform at a certain point?

Edit: I've just seen the reply from sdh2903, having load strength certification seems at odds with it's ability to retract or break cleanly. I guess it's back to reading the IVA manual again.

[Edited on 16-11-23 by Slimy38]

loggyboy

posted on 16/11/23 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just add them after IVA, use small push buttons to pass.
Slimy38

posted on 16/11/23 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Just add them after IVA, use small push buttons to pass.

I'm starting to think my post-IVA work is more than my pre-IVA work!

JAG

posted on 16/11/23 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I did my SVA test in 2005.

At that time I had the original Sierra steering wheel on the car - it was quite large

Switches positioned behind the steering wheel, and in an exclusion zone around the steering wheel, were exempt.

I don't know if it's still the same but....

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Slimy38

posted on 16/11/23 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I did my SVA test in 2005.

At that time I had the original Sierra steering wheel on the car - it was quite large

Switches positioned behind the steering wheel, and in an exclusion zone around the steering wheel, were exempt.

I don't know if it's still the same but....

Now that's an interesting thought... I wasn't planning on putting the speedo or rev counter behind the wheel as I like the 'centre dash' look. But that does leave a bit of prime real estate behind the wheel...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.