Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Decision: mock-sausage or airbox!
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Decision: mock-sausage or airbox!

I'm still struggling to fit an air filter without cutting the bonnet...

I have made a suitable backplate, and realised that I can now make a choice:

1. I can put filter foam across the front to make a sawn-off sausage filter - this is easy, I have the materials, and I could finish it tomorrow. It will have a very large area of filter. The down-side is that the face will be fairly close to the bonnet line at one end, although there will be a decent draft from a bonnet air scoop (once I build a diverter). I would also make some air-holes nearby.

2. I can put a solid sheet across the front and make it an airbox. The downside there is that the inlet tube can be no larger than 50mm diameter, and my radiator is a snug fit in the nose cone, so a remote air filter will have to be in the engine compartment somewhere.

My feeling is that it should be option 1 due to the small size of the airbox inlet hose.

Any other views?

David

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Coo... quiet round 'ere...

iank

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote

Sounds like 1 would be the way to go. Presume you could mod it to version 2 later if it doesn't work out.

Maybe a photo of some cardboard mockups would help?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jacko

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this will help but if you look in my archives under zx9r carbs you will see how i made my a/ box .
you could put a pipe in the rear end for a filter
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Maybe a photo of some cardboard mockups would help?

Never mind the cardboard mock-up - here's the aluminium version!

If I do option 1 then the whole of the front face will be filter foam. In this case I'll put a row of air holes along the bonnet just above the chassis line.

If I do option 2 then the front will be a sheet of ali and there would be a 50mm duct forward somewhere.

indykid

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
aesthetically, an airbox would look better imho, but idea 1 would probably be easier to execute.

would a 50mm inlet be sufficient?
tom

iank

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
So long as the foam in option 1 has a sturdy mesh behind it I think it'll be fine. If not it will collapse down onto the trumpets and bork the airflow.

[Edited on 12/4/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 12/4/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
option 3. cut a hole in the bonnet.

judging by your backplate, the outer surface of the filter would be almost touching the bonnet so that isn't going to help air flow.

also rule of thumb the filter element shold be at least the diameter of the carb bore away from the trumpet mouth - yours look like they will be on the limit.

you will need to mess about with ducts for cold air too.

Loads of people have bonnets with holes, only small disadvantage is it makes it slight harder to fit the bonnet but hey, hom many times a day you need to do that?

not the anser you wanted but .....

zilspeed

posted on 12/4/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Vote for a proper airbox with a forward facing intake, sounds way better to those fortunate enough to be standing in front of it as it approaches.

I know that's possibly not important, but there you go.

Like this.

[Edited on 12/4/08 by zilspeed]

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by 02GF74
> option 3. cut a hole in the bonnet.

I've already got a scoop - too many strange holes would look silly!

>judging by your backplate, the outer surface of the filter would be almost touching the bonnet so that isn't going to help air flow.

Only at the very front edge - the rest will be quite a way from the bonnet.

>also rule of thumb the filter element shold be at least the diameter of the carb bore away from the trumpet mouth - yours look like they will be on the limit.

The filter will be further away than it looks - about 50mm.

> you will need to mess about with ducts for cold air too.

Not too much - the existing bonnet vent just needs a plate to shift the air in the right direction (it's nearly over where the filter will go)

> not the anser you wanted but .....

I'll take all opinions on board - then I'll do what I want!

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Vote for a proper airbox with a forward facing intake, sounds way better to those fortunate enough to be standing in front of it as it approaches.

I know that's possibly not important, but there you go.

Like this.

That won't fit without major surgery! And there's nowhere for the ducting to go, as the rad is too tight a fit in the nose.

posted on 12/4/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David.

Could the inlet to an air box be oval?

A 50 x 100mm oval would = 75 dia. (ish)

Paul G

Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, you may be surprised how well your "mock up" could work, its not a million miles from mine looking at the pic, if you had the top covered and the filtration down by the chassis rail then it would be almost identical, will take a pic for you tomorrow.

We tried one or two options on the rolling road and the one that looks like your "mock up" is still on, it works, must be some sort of impulses generated of the close-ish top (that you don't have on yet) that does the trick.

not explaining my self very well in words i know, I'm calling the top the bit that would be on top if the bellmouths where straight up 90* I know, clear as mud.

Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
bit like this, the red area on mine is a solid ally top with air entering through the side in direction of arrows via a paper filter. I know the trumpets may look close to the lid but it makes genuine bhp on mine set up like this proven back to back on the rolling road, helps with the noise too. Rescued attachment filter-base-s.jpg
Rescued attachment filter-base-s.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 13/4/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Paul - I thought about an oval, but I'm trying to avoid welding (and that's not a hint!), plus I really don't have anywhere to take the conduit to, apart from behind the radiator. I'm not sure how squashable air duct is either - it's reinforced, isn't it?

Jon - covering the top 3/4 and put a filter near the bottom was option 3! I'm not too worried about noise (I like the induction roar ) and I don't have track marshals to pacify.

I'll make my mind up over the next few evenings, as I work out the final details.

cheers to all,
David

posted on 14/4/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Paul - I thought about an oval, but I'm trying to avoid welding (and that's not a hint!), plus I really don't have anywhere to take the conduit to, apart from behind the radiator. I'm not sure how squashable air duct is either - it's reinforced, isn't it?

Jon - covering the top 3/4 and put a filter near the bottom was option 3! I'm not too worried about noise (I like the induction roar ) and I don't have track marshals to pacify.

I'll make my mind up over the next few evenings, as I work out the final details.

cheers to all,
David

Hi David.

Avoiding welding is my speciality.

The pic below shows a trim flange I made to go round a hole in a grill where an exhaust passed through.
(no doubt it will be recognized by someone )

I made it by folding a 10mm lip on a flat strip of ally, then pulling it round a piece of pipe by hand.
If the ends were overlapped it could be pop riveted together.
Slipped through a suitable matching hole the 10mm flange could again be pop riveted in place.

Flexi air duct has a spring steel wire in it and can be squashed to any shape.

This sort of trim piece is easy to make and could well be of use to others who may wish to trim bonnet holes etc.

As you can tell I'm sitting at home with nothing to do ( nursing my poor sore paw ) wishing I could do something useful.

ATB
Paul G Rescued attachment Ally-Flange-s.jpg
Rescued attachment Ally-Flange-s.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well, this is what I ended up with...

There will be a slight design compromise - I will be cutting some holes at the bottom of the bonnet side, to let in fresh air.

The foam is proper Pipercross stuff, with proper filter oil on it, and it's backed up with reasonably strong but very open-weave aluminium mesh.

I thought that this was going to be the last job with fitting these carbs, but since mounting this filter box I've found that I can't reach the idle screw without burning my hand - I'll have to make a simple bracket for the original bike's remote idle screw. Easy enough, but yet another job to do. Sigh...

rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wimp , I have to slave over hot engines all day and I've got the scars to prove it.
02GF74

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
good job !!

one Q. you have mesh on inside, to stop filter being sucked in, but what is there on the outside to stop it being blown outwards?

I notice that both piper cross and K&N have mesh on both sides (not talking abou the foam sock things).

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
The foam is reasonably snug on the inner mesh - any backfire that's powerful to tear it off is going to cause plenty of other problems!
The Pipercross PX-500 filter on my old Weber carb had just a band of mesh on the inside and nothing on the outside.

Here's the inside before I tidied it up a bit.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.