Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stoneleigh, is ist worth it?
caber

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh, is ist worth it?

Due to a lack of cars in my fleet that are actually working properly I would have to use public transport to get to Stonleigh. The cheapest way I can do it is fly to Brum and hire a car, total cost £100. As I will not be able to take much back as I am flying is it worth going?

Caber

graememk

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
yes best show in europe

DarrenW

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I rate it. Almost too big for one day there and back trip.

Depends what you want from the show as to wether its worth flying and hiring a car.

DIY Si

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you ask nicely, you may not even need to hire a car! I'm sure someone from here could come and get you on the way past. Or see if there's someone in your area with a spare seat.
omega0684

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you just drive down and stay in a local b&b for the wekend? i live 2 minutes from stoneleigh, and ive never seen so many kit cars and such a good crowd!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree in that it depends what you want from a show. There are just thousands of cars to look at. Literally. And you can get your hands on nearly everything you'd want (though I struggled with a clevis joint last year, not sure why that stands out!) There's some good discounts to be had as well. I was knackered last year after working till real late the night before and I went on my own so I just stormed round then went home in about 3 hours. I'm going with my brother this year and taking my time because I'm a lot more into the 'scene' than I was before. Oh, and you'll be amazed at how many people you'll see off this site but'll be to shy to crack onto them

RazMan

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
If I had to choose just one show then Stoneleigh would be the one.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 21/4/08 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
If I had to choose just one show then Stoneleigh would be the one.

Ditto and I don't think I'll be able to make it for the second year on the trot

Alan B

posted on 22/4/08 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I flew in from Florida for the last two....does that answer the question?

Fred W B

posted on 22/4/08 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I flew in from Florida for the last two....does that answer the question?

Blimey, hard core.

Suppose I must add anothe item to my list of "must see's"

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

mcerd1

posted on 22/4/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'm heading down in the tin top again this year - this will be my 4th year in a running (I ordered the dax the first time)

My plan is drive down Sat night or more likley Sun morning, camp on site (for the first time - always been in cheap hotels/ travel bins before) and drive back on Mon afternoon / evening

I've got 4 spare seats this year, so give me a shout if you don't get a better offer

DaveFJ

posted on 22/4/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
went 5 years ago - on my honeymoon! decided to build the Avon there and then
every year since it has been "I must drive the Tiger to Stoneliegh"....

Still not going to have to go in the tin top this year as i am still waiting for an SVA date

But I will be attending the show and this year won't have to spend my entire time wondering around the trade stalls with my wallet open, so I can actually look around at the cars

I don't think it is possible to see everything at Stoneliegh in one day. you need to be selective. I have heard it said that it is the largest kit car show in the world - no evidence to prove that though....
On the plus side - I have personally been on the Sunday for the last 5 years and i haven't got wet yet!

Just realised this will be my 6th stoneliegh pilgrimage!

[Edited on 22-4-08 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

DarrenW

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe we should wear a sticker with our LCB tag on it this year. Hand written simple white label should suffice.

orbital

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
As I live close to Stoneleigh I go pretty much every year and I've only had a kit car for a year My Brother in law and cousin usually come too and it's just a great day out. Best show period I reckon (just bugs me that Mac1 never come to it )

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 103030p://1415 by orbital]

Davey D

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I see it is on the sunday & bank holiday monday. I will try to get down for one day. which day would it be best to go do you think?

paulf

posted on 22/4/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience the Sunday is the busiest day and if looking for parts the best bargains are on Sunday, a lot of people that camp over in there cars seem to leave on the Monday morning or early afternoon.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
I see it is on the sunday & bank holiday monday. I will try to get down for one day. which day would it be best to go do you think?

02GF74

posted on 22/4/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
£ 100 to see/do what? - it won't leave much out of the £ 250 budget.

It really depends what you reasons are for being there - you want to see a bunch of 7s, cobras, ultimas? See one or two then you have seen them all - you can probably get to see the same at a local car show. Having said that, it is useful to see how builders of the same car have addressed problems that you are facing/faced.

Wanna buy some spare bits? Again depending on what, you can get them off the bay and mail order.

BUT if you are looking for inspiration as to what to build next, then definitely go - I believe it is largest gathering of kit car manufacturers so you can see the cars for real, get the brochure, even sit in them and discuss purchase etc. with the maker.

chrisg

posted on 22/4/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Maybe we should wear a sticker with our LCB tag on it this year. Hand written simple white label should suffice.

(In my best Blazing Saddles mexican voice)

Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!

I don't need one anyway 'cos I'm famous.
(Down our road)

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

rusty nuts

posted on 22/4/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Should have brought one of my tee shirts when I did them!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.