Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locostbulders for Motorhomes?
ReMan

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Locostbulders for Motorhomes?

We're looking to buy a first one, wondered if any one knows which forum, (there are a few) is anything like as useful as LCB?

Got one or two questions that I may ask here , but they can wait till I'm a bit less tired and emotioanal after today's 5 hour trip to look at one that could have been "the one", but was worth half the asking price at best

[Edited on 29/5/11 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Volvorsport

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
buy the haynes book ?

ive actually got it aswell...............

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

austin man

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
not quite a motorhome but Ive been thinking of a campervan a VW T4, what is it your looking for have you got an idea of model etc

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ReMan

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
No, I don't want to build one, I want to use it this year not 2015.
Fairly open to make, probably excluding rusty old Talbots, only need 2 berth, but would prefer a bit more visitor/dog space. Condition more important than age. Pref diesel, pref RHD.
Prefer it not devaluing the house or relationship with neighbours no mingers!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

austin man

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
there are plenty of VW campervans on Ebay the T4 does seem to be quite a desirable model and seem to hold its price, this is a campervan and not a motorhome though

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ReMan

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes need fully self contained, toilet shower toaster

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

austin man

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Compass Drifter 355 Motor Home | eBay UK
HYMER CAMP 55 MOTORHOME - FIAT CHASSIS - DIESEL - 1992 | eBay UK

any good

[Edited on 29/5/11 by austin man]

ReMan

posted on 29/5/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that sort of thing
Budget up to £10k , but I'd prefer 5k, ( I have visions of a Alfa Spider, a Car trailer and a Turbo for the MK, a nice 70's bike and other things with the difference)

Critique of those 2 , (not ungratefully, but maybe unrealisically) would be:
Compass, looks fairly genuine (same as a Talbot cab I think) but I'd want to pay £5k for it
The Hymer, Trade and had it, too much of a liablity for me to re-sell, so £2500, but I would'nt..

Thanks for the heads up though, todays trip has proven that the camera is very objectie

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

steve m

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
The reason the current prices are so high is "time of year", just like sports cars, when the sun is out everyone wants one!

if you want a cheap deal, wait till nov/dec and the prices will be half there current value

We bought our current caravan, for 3k in dec 2009, yet its current book value is 4-5k now (when the sun is out!)

Also I doubt you will get much fo 5k, probably a right heap of shite, that will cost you double to put right, so your better off just buying the right one at an inflated price, or wait till the end of the year

Danozeman

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Its the wrong time of year to buy a camper. You need to be buying a tent for now and get a camper at the end of the year. Youl pay way over the odds at the minute.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree about "wrong time of year" to buy, but I've been looking casually since late last year and can't honestly say I've seen any real difference in price, maybe a bit more shite to choose from though!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

SeanStone

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
You might want to consider a caravan. My parents looked at getting a motorhome, so they tried one for a week and found the experience a little limiting as it takes a bit of time to get the motorhome set up and level so it's not that easy to just pop out for something.

I'd recommended you did the same thing! Give one a go and see if it's for you!

steve m

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sean has a good point, and we went through similar thoughts,
yet as i am the only driver in my household, having a tin top, 7, and a motorhome to insure tax and maintain, would be a very expensive years motoring

Our caravan is used 5-7 times a year, and costs nothing to run, minimul easy maintenance, and lives on my front garden

Also as i said further up in my post winter is most definatly time to buy, our caravan was £4995, i offered £3000 tops and walked away, he called me back and took my 3k
And that was a dealer, they dont sell many vans in Nov/Dec so took my offer

Steve

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Compass Cruiser 740 2.4TD

My partner and I have just bought one of these !

Bit of laugh ,but dont expect to get anywhere very quickly.

Haven't got anywhere to store a caravan so this can live on the road,have used it once to North Norfolk, as said pluses and minuses , once you have set up you are a bit stuck although many people have cycle or even motorcycle racks on the back, 25mpg which at todays rate is a little painfull.

Decent shower /toilet , hot water ,warm air heating etc, rear lounge/dining room .

I dont think with present fuel prices and financial climate they are selling that quick all the dealers we went to where up for a deal , but in the end took a chance privately and saved around 4.5k.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Surrey Dave]

Mr G

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you want 'locostbuilders' and 'motorhomes' then check out this fishizzle!

LINKY (Picture intensive)

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Andi

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a new argument for bike/car powered camper

http://craziestgadgets.com/2008/05/25/motorcycle-motorhome/

ReMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
My partner and I have just bought one of these !

Bit of laugh ,but dont expect to get anywhere very quickly.

Haven't got anywhere to store a caravan so this can live on the road,have used it once to North Norfolk, as said pluses and minuses , once you have set up you are a bit stuck although many people have cycle or even motorcycle racks on the back, 25mpg which at todays rate is a little painfull.

Decent shower /toilet , hot water ,warm air heating etc, rear lounge/dining room .

I dont think with present fuel prices and financial climate they are selling that quick all the dealers we went to where up for a deal , but in the end took a chance privately and saved around 4.5k.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Surrey Dave]

That's cracking Dave!
Probably slightly bigger and twice my budget but otherwise just what I have in mind, full inderpendance (shower loo etc)
Enjoy!
Any recommendations for a forum?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Motorhomefun?

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/

I too thought that something could be found for around 5-6k, although it would have to be quite old which is not neccesarily a problem as most of these things don't get to do many miles per year.

I think with a bit of luck you could get something very similar to ours for around your 10k top limit, probably 3-4 yrs older but in good condition still.

Do you check Ebay and Autotrader?

But as you say travelling too far to look is a pain so we tended to stay fairly local, even though there did seem some good bargains further afield.

We went to dealers first to sit in a lot and decide what we wanted layout wise they all vary greatly , at first we wanted rear kitchen front lounge so any passengers would be near us , then we decided to go for the rear lounge panoramic outlook effect.

Also you have the A-class vans which a complete laugh, like a small coach.

Have you considered passengers , children under 12 cannot travel in the rear of a motorhome without belts adults can if that how it was manufactured.

But all the new ones have desgnated travelling seats with belts and thats it.

I have driven this with 2 passengers in the back plus dogs it's a bit worrying imagining what would happen to rear passengers sitting sideways without seat belts,

KitCatE1

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Best forum I found when I was looking into building/buying a motorhome was this one SBMCC Very helpful on there very LCB esque its a self build forum. I have not been on there in a while like the kit needs more attention these days you do have to register on there to view the forum but its free
ReMan

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
You might want to consider a caravan. My parents looked at getting a motorhome, so they tried one for a week and found the experience a little limiting as it takes a bit of time to get the motorhome set up and level so it's not that easy to just pop out for something.

I'd recommended you did the same thing! Give one a go and see if it's for you!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really dont want a caravan, I need to be able to tow the MK as one of the criteria and or one of the other cars / bikes and don't intend staying put much. There's only mainly the two of us now and want to do a bit more of the country (and the tracks )

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/

I too thought that something could be found for around 5-6k, although it would have to be quite old which is not neccesarily a problem as most of these things don't get to do many miles per year.

I think with a bit of luck you could get something very similar to ours for around your 10k top limit, probably 3-4 yrs older but in good condition still.

Do you check Ebay and Autotrader?

But as you say travelling too far to look is a pain so we tended to stay fairly local, even though there did seem some good bargains further afield.

We went to dealers first to sit in a lot and decide what we wanted layout wise they all vary greatly , at first we wanted rear kitchen front lounge so any passengers would be near us , then we decided to go for the rear lounge panoramic outlook effect.

Also you have the A-class vans which a complete laugh, like a small coach.

Have you considered passengers , children under 12 cannot travel in the rear of a motorhome without belts adults can if that how it was manufactured.

But all the new ones have desgnated travelling seats with belts and thats it.

I have driven this with 2 passengers in the back plus dogs it's a bit worrying imagining what would happen to rear passengers sitting sideways without seat belts,

yes Ebay, Autotrader, practical Motorhiome and a bit of a look on the other many forums, hence the question about which maye be closest to our LCB type feel

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.