Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Computerised MOT's
Simon

posted on 27/12/05 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Computerised MOT's

Peeps,

I've passed the SVA and am thinking about getting an MOT before registration (for the fun of it, to cover all bases, basically).

Can the new computerised MOT's be done on just a chassis number?

The chap from the SVA place didn't think I'd need one, but don't want to not have one and be asked for it!!

Cheers

ATB

Simon

andybod

posted on 27/12/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
mot tester's can override the info on the computer and manually enter the info so yep you can still get it done just not sure how many testers know how to do it
Humbug

posted on 27/12/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need an MOT and should be asked for one because MOT is only required 3 years after the date of first regustration. As you car hasn't been registered before, then date of first registration will be when you go in to the DVLA.

(I didn't get an MOT and had no trouble at Maidstone DVLA, btw)

Some people who have done an MOT before registering have then had the hassles of reminders arefter 1 year and 2 years as well.

Better off going to a garage and asking for an inspection which does the same tests as an MOT.

Genesis

posted on 27/12/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I know when I had an SVA they basically went through everything that an MOT goes through, except with more thoroughness - why bother it merely complicates everything.

Going fishin'

cornishrob

posted on 27/12/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
like humbug said, if im expecting a car to fail the MOT i get an inspection done before hand so that i can see what needs putting right rather than spending out on an MOT. Its cheaper and it also means you dont get the fail points put on the cars record as all fails and recomendations are now registered with the DVLA
froggy

posted on 27/12/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
the worst part of the new style tests is that if you fail on anything other than tyres or lights then the car must have a full retest which is supposed to take 45mins.
now the tester will record any advice comments given which will go on the database so i imagine that the police will not only now know if your car is fully road regal but also if there are any faults on the car which may not have been rectified at the mot ie: tyres near to legal limit without having to stop you

Marcus

posted on 27/12/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few things tested on an MOT which aren't tested at SVA, ie horn operation and tyre tread depth. In theory, you could pass SVA, register your car, tax it and STILL be pulled by plod for having an unroadworthy car!
You don't need an MOT for your car as it's not 3 years old - check DVLA website.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 27/12/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful about the no MOT for 3 years thing, Because mine had an MOT test done , the Post office wouldn't tax it without one, was to do with the new computer system apparantly(once its seen an MOT assumes the car needs one)some have managed to get the requirement taken off by speaking to DVLA, but i spent nearly a day on the phone to VOSA and DVLA to no avail, was just easier to MOT it in the end.

Ray

MkIndy7

posted on 27/12/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stay well clear of the new MOT's there an absolute nightmare! a rip off and a massive inconvienience to all involved!

If there's no need don't put yourself through all the hassle.

froggy

posted on 27/12/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
il second that! the place i go to is prettty much all trade ,everyone is just dropping the cars off first thing in the morning and just hoping it will get done the same day.

i can see that once everyone has changed over to the computer system a test will be £50 plus and full price for re-test.

the place i take class 7 to are allready charging full retail for test and retest so if you fail on say emissions its over £100

Peteff

posted on 27/12/05 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
My friend at the bike shop has gone onto the system and hates it. He has a look at the bikes before he logs on to test them and if there's anything wrong he sends them away to fix it so he won't have to do a retest. People complain and don't realise he's doing them and himself a favour.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gazza285

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bloke who does my testing gives me a pass with an advisory note about any work that needs doing, unless it's something really serious.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey!!

Wasn't expecting quite such postive vibes about the new MOT.

Won't bother with one, as having read the "Registering Your Vehicle" pamphlet from DVLA, I concur with all comments re not three years old etc.

Cheers chaps.

ATB

Simon

cornishrob

posted on 28/12/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
When i sold my last car i took it for the test and it failed on emissions, my own fault for hoping it wouldn't need both cats back in.

anyway it was 38 quid for the test and full price for the restest. they are required to charge full price as its another test, which makes things more annoying for us motorists. I can see a lot of people not getting along with the new tests but if you know how to work them it wont cause any problems for those of us who have more than a passing interest in cars.

bigrich

posted on 28/12/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
its not really the new system at fault its the fact that the old system was open to abuse it now stops garages booking in more tests than they can do in theory so the reduced number of tests have to paid for by increased prices also retests where the tester would have a quick look and write out a certificate now have to alocated a slot of time and as you all know time is money. don't be down on the system its just being used how mot's should have been done all along
MkIndy7

posted on 30/12/05 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
There a Farce!

My everyday car failed 3 times for different things, lost use of the car for a whole week on petty minor things.
If the tester can't just quickly look over the bit you've repaired to make it pass in the same day then it has to go for a full retest RIP OFF! no other words for it!

The main one that got me was, picked up on the 2nd test.

1. No rear brake pipe clips, when they have never ever been fitted to the car (even by the mfr)

And 1 tester said the handbrake needed adjusting at 47% efficiency when the others passed it, am certain it didn't need to be anything like that efficient when I took the Indy for SVA.

Made my blood boil and my wallet sore!

JoelP

posted on 30/12/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
my lil cars MOT ran out 6 months ago, cant be bothered with a new one since the mileage is so low. Not going to bother til the tax is due.

bigrich

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
seems youve had a rough ride mkindy7 i think you need a new testing station for next time btw foot brake efficiency is50% of kerbwieght, park brake is 16% for dual line systems and 25% if its single line
all i can say is not all testers are the same (some drive kits)

andyps

posted on 31/12/05 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
They don't have to charge for a re-test - I took my daughters car for a test at the end of November - it failed on three things, two of which I sorted, the third the tester fixed (new steering rack on a Mini - not a job I fancied doing outside in the cold!) and I didn't get charged for a retest. I think some will charge for it as the system will not allow them to have more than one car logged in at a time, and they have to spend a certain amount of time on each car so effectively they cannot test another car whilst retesting one. If the tester does not have anything else but tests to do they cannot make any money for over half an hour so may charge, but the charge is up to them.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

MkIndy7

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Think thats something to do with if it leaves the premesis.

If you take it away and fix it then they charge you for another test. (and possibly how well u know the tester)

Simon

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Think thats something to do with if it leaves the premesis.

If you take it away and fix it then they charge you for another test. (and possibly how well u know the tester)

Should be quite interesting to see how many members of public start fixing cars on dealer forecourts!!

ATB

Simon

darrens

posted on 3/1/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
just thought I'd add my two penny worth in, the new MOT procedure is causing a bit of a headache for all, just took my car (renault laguna) for MOT and it failed on front brakes slightly out of balance, fair cop, not a major hasssle to change discs and pads, but because the tester got stuck on the procedure for the data entry or what ever it is they do on the computer, he had to phone the help desk and was left on hold for minimum 35mins, I say minimum because I had to leave, said I would be back tomorrow for retest.

From what I've read and heard it's causing allot of work for everyone. I will add though, that new things do tend to have their clitches and hopefully given a few months should be straight forward then.

Darren

bob

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
When my road tax expired after the 1st year on the road my reminder quoted i needed a valid mot cert,i knew this was wrong and telephoned dvla who were very helpfull and told me to take my V5 to the post office to proove registration.

All was well

2nd year came and same problem on reminder,jobsworth at postoffice counter didnt want to play so i payed up online which is possibly the best thing they have ever added to the system.
Payed up online with bankers card on a weds eve and the tax disc arived in the post friday morn,and the best bit is no que at the po.

Although for the money a regular MOT is probably the cheapest car check up you are ever going to get

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.