Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted (desperately!) Sierra Driveshafts with 21 (or22) splines on the Diff end.
worX

posted on 21/1/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted (desperately!) Sierra Driveshafts with 21 (or22) splines on the Diff end.

Hi All,
Wanted (desperately!) Sierra Driveshafts with 21 (or22) splines on the Diff end. Instead of the larger ones with 26 splines that I have.

I didn't know that there were two different sizes of shafts and diff splines etc. and didn't bother checking them all the while that I've had them! I have also already prepped and painted them matt black and fitted four new boots on them, so am a bit PO'd as you'd imagine!

I only realised that they were wrong when I received the uprights from MAC#1 in the post and tried to build the back end up as I'm desperate to get it on the ground and off the wooden sawhorses that I made as I don't really trust them fully as they have started to bow under the weight and I would be gutted if the car fell to the floor.

Any help regarding this issue would be very gratefully received.

edited to add that it's a 3.62 Diff (I don't know whether this makes a difference but just thought I'd add it!)

edited to add (again) that it's a NON LSD Diff so shafts of the "Push-in" type.

kind regards,

Steve.

[Edited on 21/1/07 by worX]

ayoungman

posted on 21/1/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
there are different lengths to, so make sure you get a vehicle pair for the diff that you are using.

"just like that !"

novacaine

posted on 21/1/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
do you know what happens when you put the word "desparatley" in your wanted ad?

an extra zero goes on the end of the price

sorry for the completley useless post so i'll try and redeem myself, have you called MK?

i havent ever been in contact with MK but from what is said on this forum they can usualy solve any problem you have lol

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

flak monkey

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
You know, i had a pair of them in the garage for months (after buying the wrong set) and they got dumped last week. I couldnt shift them. Bloody typical!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Wadders

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a word with JoelP i gave him a pair last year, i think he only wanted them for mock up purposes, might still have em in a dusty corner?

Al.

JoelP

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
haha, i saw this thread on the front page and thought about those shafts alan! They are still there, though id describe the corner as more rusty than dusty. I can have a look at exactly what is there is required.
worX

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP

joelp

Thanks very much Joel.

I forgot to add that the shafts that I need are of the push-in type for NON lsd diff.

just in case the ones that Joel has are not the right ones, does anyone else have or know of any?

Kind regards,

Steve.

JoelP

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
mine (alans) are definately for a push in too. They are a little disassembled though so i need to check if they are all there. In fact, i'll go look now *shiver*
worX

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
shiver

Thanks Joel...

and when you say shiver, check out my build diary/photos (just updated it tonight!) - I am building my car OUTSIDE!!!

Steve.

JoelP

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately, it looks like a piece is missing. Im fairly sure they arrived that way though, so maybe alan has it somewhere? The outer cv joint of the dissembled one. Rescued attachment DSCF0542.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0542.JPG

worX

posted on 21/1/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,
do you know whether I could cobble the two of yours/Alan's together with mine to make two good ones?
also are yours the 21 splined variety?

cheers,

Steve.

Wadders

posted on 21/1/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a butchers tommorow and see what bits iv'e got, let you know

worX

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

thanks very much to both of you...

I thought I was getting on really well with my build and was really hoping to have it complete in record time! I'm trying to do it as quickly as possible without compromising the quality of my work, but am really enjoying the build and was so gutted to encounter this stumbling block! so once again thanks to you both...

Steve.

nick205

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Steve - OT, but just been looking in your build diary/gallery. I like the full flat bottomed floor approach
worX

posted on 22/1/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
floor

Cheers!
it's a bit of a pain fitting the engine though, as had to cut a hole for it, but when I get time (prob after the build) I'm going to cover the hole with some 2mm Ali and secure the cover with Dzuz (or similar) quick release fasteners, so that I can do Oil changes etc.
then with the rest of the front under the rack etc covered and a rear diffuser it will be fully flat bottomed!

Don't know how good it will be for 7 type car but that's how I wanted it, so that's how I did it!!!

Steve.

Wadders

posted on 22/1/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e found the missing bits, so between Joel and myself, we have a complete pair of shafts!
have to point out they will probably need new c'v's and boots etc, Your more than welcome to have them for nowt tho.

Al.

worX

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Greeeaattt!

Thanks very much to the both of you once again, I imagine that you have noticed that you were the only two that responded to my pleas of help, so I don't know what I'd do if you didn't come through!!!

How many splines are on the shafts you (both) have?

And do you know whether I could cobble mine together? i.e. do they have interchangeable parts? that way I can use the bits that I bought brand new for mine!!

JoelP

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
cant answer that myself, i dont know much about shafts. I'll go and count the splines after tea.
worX

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Joel...

Wadders

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure the bits wont be interchangeable, shafts will be smaller diameter, as will joints, metal covers and boots. Sorry The upside is they're substantially lighter than the larger dia shafts, and rebuild kits are cheap enough from Ford.

Al.

worX

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
OK, thats, fine, I will have a look when I get them - it's just a shame that I have already spent money on these!
and there is only one thing I hate worse than spending my bank's money, and thats spending it twice on the same thing when it wasn't necessary!!!

If only I'd checked them a while ago...

cheers anyway!
Just waiting for Joel to confirm that they are the right number of splines, and then it's how do we sort out me getting them!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.