Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whys this happened ....
woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
whys this happened ....

i did my first track day at aintree on saturday . the weather was terrible very heavy showers . my fourth lap only goin about 60 mph .. very heavy rain ... my fireblade engine mountings ... bottom two .... broke off the chassis ... the engine dropped .. prop shaft came off and tried to come through the side of the footwell ............ totally gutted and puzzled .............. why????????????
Jasper

posted on 5/10/03 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is it your chassis - or a bought one????
pbura

posted on 5/10/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly intermittant traction from aquaplaning caused repeated shocks to the engine mounts?

If you post some pics of the mounts I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions for strengthening them.

If you bought the chassis with mounts, you should contact the supplier.

Awfully sorry to hear about your misfortune.

All the best,

Pete

Pete

woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
bought the car built from sportspowerdrive .... looking at pictures on web i would say its mk ... il have to make some phone calls tomorrow .... still very pissed off ....gutted!!!!!!!
woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
thanks pete
mad-butcher

posted on 5/10/03 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
suggest you look at my posting in the mk indy gt1 section page 12 called sportspowerdrive.com as you will see by posting it might look one of martins but odds are it ain't
sorry to hear about your misfortune didn't know they did track days at aintree be handy as i'm only in wallasey
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 5/10/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
MK have never supplied Sports power drive with chassis. It may be a copy but the one thing it is not is an MK.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks mad butcher that was very helpful...... if my cars not got an mk chassis how does it say under make on the v5 MK INDY ....... even more puzzled ... now how do stand ?????
woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
that last posting should of said NOW WHERE DO I STAND??????????just drowning my sorrows
woodster

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
the next trackday/test days at aintree are may 29 and october 4 2004 ......... had a good look at beeches just before my engine dropped out !!!!!!!!!......... there where 60 cars there on saturday and it cost me £99 ...........o and £8500 for the car..........................
Simon

posted on 6/10/03 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Woodster

Sorry for your misfortune!

How long have you had the car. Is it still under warranty, etc etc.

If Sportspowerdrive built it, then they'll have of lot to answer for - Sale of Goods Act dictates that goods should be of saleable value (ie not a pile of shit) and fit for the purpose (it's reasonable to assume that 7 type car will be used in a track day).

I'm not a legal chap so you'll need to get some proper advice (eg CAB etc).

Suggest you start by talking to SPD nicely.

If no joy get down to Citizens Advice Bureau, then local trading standards etc.

I believe you'll have the law on your side if it all turns nasty.

DO ensure you keep us all advised of what happens.

ATB

Simon

mad-butcher

posted on 6/10/03 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
be very carefull when speaking to spd as said in sportsspowerdrive.com posting his mums a solicitor....... when was it registered
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 7/10/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i would like to thank mad-butcher , mk and everyone for there help and best wishes il let everyone know on the forum how things turn out with the car .......... THANK YOU
titch

posted on 9/10/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I PURCHASED A CHASSIS FROM SPD,AND WAS TOLD, BY BOTH MK AND SPD, WHO HAD MADE THE CHASSIS.
AS FAR AS I AM AWARE SPD BOUGHT SEVERAL KITS FROM MK AND THEN SOLD THEM AS SPD's CARS.ONCE MK GOT WIND OF THIS THEY DID NOT SUPPLY ANY FURTHER KITS,AT WHICH TIME SPD WENT ON TO MANUFACTURE THEIR OWN CHASSIS.THE QUESTION IS----IS YOURS A EARLY OR LATE CHASSIS?

suparuss

posted on 10/10/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
i think if you bought the car from spd, it is they who should answer for this. if they were supplied a chassis, then they should take that up with whoever supplied them with it, which is nothing to do with you.
id have been shouting many profanities down the phone if this had happened to me, sounds very dangerous having a prop shaft flailing around just a few inches away from your legs, with not much more than ally and tube steel to stop it from mauling you to bits.

Russ.

Sport

posted on 11/10/03 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Sports Powerdrive vs MK ( True version )

I have only supplied 2 complete MK's on the road so if the owner of the so called car would get in touch i would like to talk with you. Anyone else who would like to contact me please feel free to call as we are open 6 days a week.
Please also read the retraction from "Which Kit" October's issue where they admit that they made the mistake for not doing their homework and finding out the true facts about my chassis's.

mad-butcher

posted on 11/10/03 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
ain't no injuns here just
chrisg

posted on 11/10/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sport
I have only supplied 2 complete MK's on the road so if the owner of the so called car would get in touch i would like to talk with you. Anyone else who would like to contact me please feel free to call as we are open 6 days a week.
Please also read the retraction from "Which Kit" October's issue where they admit that they made the mistake for not doing their homework and finding out the true facts about my chassis's.

It seems to me that "Which Kit" saw the chassis and drew the enevitable conclusion. It Looks Like a MK Indy.

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

fed up

posted on 13/10/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
how could which kit have seen the chassis and made there own conclusions

when the which kit mag came out before any one had seen the car

it was launched at the donnington show

before that no one had see more than what looks like a mockup photo in the magazine

what i want to know is did the chap who had the problem with the car contact spd why did he go to mk if every one is saying its not a mk chassis seems strange to me

the only people that know whats gone on is mk and spd

all this bad mouthing is bad for the kit car image as a hole

unless you work for spd or mk then how can you say whats going on and if you do work for either then you should not be using this site to slag of the other company

[Edited on 14/10/03 by fed up]

woodster

posted on 14/10/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
been giving the car a bit of thought .... it is badly damaged ...... if i cant afford to get the car fixed i think i'll leave it as it is and next year i'll show it at some of the kitcar shows stafford , stoneleigh ... how good will it look outside the main hall at donington with the bonnet off all those people walking past asking questions ....... it does look well ........ love woodster
JoelP

posted on 14/10/03 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a good diagnosis of what actually went wrong? how solid was your transmission tunnel, and how well did it withstand the prop flailing about? just curious from a safety point of view. ta
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/10/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
a. you will be lucky to do that and

b. its a kit car. people will think YOU built it wrong.....

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
been giving the car a bit of thought .... it is badly damaged ...... if i cant afford to get the car fixed i think i'll leave it as it is and next year i'll show it at some of the kitcar shows stafford , stoneleigh ... how good will it look outside the main hall at donington with the bonnet off all those people walking past asking questions ....... it does look well ........ love woodster

woodster

posted on 14/10/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
hi joel .... prop cut through the tunnel in a couple of places and put a big dent in it ..... the clutch peddles badly bent it seems to have pushed it over .......... if you think of the beating it took i'd say and lucky for me its f**king strong !!!!!!!!!! i've got some pics i may put them on later
woodster

posted on 14/10/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
stephen .... the cars a bill board on wheels sign written all over .... the public car parks right outside the main hall at donnington
ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/10/03 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Woodster, from these latest posts I assume relations between you and SPD are not good? If you dont mind me saying, in hindsight Id say you possibly havent gone about it in the best way by posting about the problem on a public forum before speaking to SPD, but thats forgivable considering you posted in the heat of the moment the day after the problems, when you had nowhere else to vent your frustration.

Hopefully you can sort something out with them amicably, but if that all fails then I'd think you have a good case to reject the car and demand a refund. A car is a car, it shouldnt matter that it is a kit car. It was supplied to you as a road going car, so you have have the same rights as when buying any other new/used car from a commercial establishment. This means it should be fit for purpose, free from major / minor defects etc etc (plus various other legal blurb which you can find on various websites). The fact that the car suffered a catastrophic and potentially dangerous failure may mean that you can persue one of these avenues if all else fails, but hopefully it wont be necessary.

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.