Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sorry I didn't see you
mookaloid

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I didn't see you

2 Days ago on the way to work with mrs Mooky, I was in a queue of traffic in a 30 zone. The sun was low and a bit dazzling so I went slowly up to the queue of traffic and left a good distance in front of me.

All of a sudden there was an almighty bang, we were covered in glass, I was lying on my back looking at the headlining and I couldn't move.

After about 30 seconds I got over the initial shock and was able to move. I got out and there was a woman pulling her kid out of the back of her BMW X5.

Can anyone guess what she said? Yup 'sorry I didn't see you - the sun was in my eyes'

The cops came and weren't really interested in prosecuting anyone - but they breathalysed everyone!

So I just thought I might show some pics.

Of particular interest I thought was the way that the seat backs broke.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

We both have very sore necks and headaches still - the doc says they can't call it whiplash but that's what it is

Not all bad though.........

This is my courtesy car

Go easy out there ....

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

worX

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate,

Hope you and the Missus are OK in the short/long run...

ATB
Steve

nib1980

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be the beaere of bad news, but the only true way to diagnose Whiplash, is to do a section through the 5ht and 6th vertabrae, sadly this does result in death.

however the seats collapsing looks bad, I know all test I do none of the seats have collapsed, may well be worth contacting Alfa about that, as it would have been a contributariy factor to your hyperextension neck injuries.

Duncan_P

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
poor Alfa

Hope you both recover well and the insurance isn't too much hassle.

quote:
Originally said by stupid woman
'sorry I didn't see you - the sun was in my eyes'

Well if you cant see where you are going you shouln't be moving......stupid w@@@h

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
and why is it not whiplash?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
the only true way to diagnose Whiplash, is to do a section through the 5ht and 6th vertabrae, sadly this does result in death.
quote:

but think of the money!

I've been in loads of crashes (few were my fault) best to just forget about it and get on with things.

[Edited on 13/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davidosullivan

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Jeeeeees....

Glad your both alright, hope your back to full health soon.

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago.

"Lorry turning in the road ahead, so I slow down, he takes his own sweet time so I come to a full stop (I even put my handbrake on!) Anyway a good 3/4 seconds later I hear 'SCREATCH/BANG' and my little micra gets shovelled a good way down the road by a 4x4. Once I've worked out whats happened I get out. The lorry driver has gone. The woman in the 4x4 gets out with her kids and says 'I'm sorry I just didn't see you(r bright cherry red micra at 3.30pm on a well lit afternoon) Its totally my fault'. I reckon she was doing 40 in the 30 on the way back from school. I was fine, car was a bit mashed (nothing like yours). Police couldnt give a turkeys giblets. Despite the fact we where about 10ft infront of a zebra crossing. Guess it was a good job no kids had been crossing.

Sorry did I go off on a rant? Hope you get the car sorted soon, not the best Christmas pressie!

onzarob

posted on 13/12/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, hope the neck clears up quickly, i had a rear end in my midget and the guy suggested my lights weren't bright enough!!!!

The police don't get invovled unless
a) someone is seriously hurt or properrty (not the cars) is damaged.
b) someone has been drinking!!!!

The seat going back like that can be right

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by onzarob]

BenB

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
But- on the other hand- a lot of the injury of whiplash results from hyperflexion (after all, your body is restrained by the seat belt and the head rest should prevent excessive extension) ... And if your body isn't going forwards or your head isn't going backwards you're not extending your neck The hyperflexion usually occurs during the deceleration phase immediately proceeding the impact. So the seat going backwards would have actually have taken up some of the shunt (in that the backwards movement would have negated some of the forwards acceleration from the rear-impact) therein reducing hyperflexion... Admittedly I'm not sure that's an Alfa design feature!!!

A bit of T-cut and it'll be good as new!!!!

nib1980

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
But- on the other hand- a lot of the injury of whiplash results from hyperflexion (after all, your body is restrained by the seat belt and the head rest should prevent excessive extension) ... And if your body isn't going forwards or your head isn't going backwards you're not extending your neck The hyperflexion usually occurs during the deceleration phase immediately proceeding the impact. So the seat going backwards would have actually have taken up some of the shunt (in that the backwards movement would have negated some of the forwards acceleration from the rear-impact) therein reducing hyperflexion... Admittedly I'm not sure that's an Alfa design feature!!!

A bit of T-cut and it'll be good as new!!!!

very true, ironically the Alfa has a very good Active headrest, and is used as a model by a number of OEMs. I still maintain alfas, seat should not have collapsed, most OEMs test for rear impact as a matter of course and seat collapse is not acceptable

02GF74

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
good job you're all ok; tis the time of year when people leave brain at home before going out to drive; if you cannot see where you are going, then perhaps you should not be driving? stoopid woman.

wait until it is a bit frosty and we see thos tw**ts who make a 10 p sized cricle in the ice covering the side windows and windscreen and hack on at 40 mph!

any pics of the X5?

PS first dibs on the engine.

Guinness

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark, sorry to hear about your accident.

Hope you get it sorted / feel better for Christmas.

Cheers

Mike

westcost1

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch I love the gts look so nice. The seat thing is a bit of a concern! Shorley that cant help back – neck injuries! Hope you got a witness or 2 as she is bound to say it was your fault at a later date. That’s what happened to me and I still don’t have my excess back 3 months later. My witness has got so pissed off with all the letters calls to her ect she has backing down. if only some people looked in the right direction (forwards) when driving and pulling out of a junction!!!

[Edited on 13/12/07 by westcost1]

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the sympathy guys

Photo of the BMW

Description
Description

Can't see a lot of damage but the radiator and power steering were bust at least.

Cheers

Mark

onzarob

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Angle of the sun can be clearly worked out from your photos, bet she was looking at the kids in the back
indykid

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
The Angle of the sun can be clearly worked out from your photos, bet she was looking at the kids in the back

the long shadows cast into the picture of the photographer suggest the sun is low, and behind........so i guess sun in her eyes is reasonably plausible, but not excusable.

sorry to hear it anyway mr mook.
tom

nick205

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about that Mark, but glad you're both OK.

The rear end damage to your car looks pretty severe for a 30mph incident - even taking into account the size/weight of an X5. Did she even get on the brakes?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
The seat failure is very concerning. In the event of a rear impact the seat is meant to ensure you move ( along with your head ) forward at the same rate as the car. As your seat failed in what was only a low speed impact IT HAS TO BE FAULTY OR POOR DESIGN AND UNFIT FOR THE JOB. With the back of the seat failing you will have suffered neck/head and back injuries that would not have occurred if it had done its job.

Get in touch with Alfa and send them an email with pics straight away – They should certainly want to see why the seat failed. Also If your sure the seat failed get in touch with Watchdog or Topgear, and inform Alfa that you have done this.

Most important – If the headaches continue or you feel nauseous then go back to the docs because you will probably have concussion – possibly because the seat failed.

Paul

Hellfire

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark - good to see you are fine (even though that gorgeous car isn't). FTR - Whiplash is a generic term used for RTA's. It's definition means absolutely nothing.

Must agree with commentators regarding the andgle of the sun and it's problems. But it begs the question if she couldn't see why didn't she slow down - stupid bitch run around in the dark does she??? With kids in the back she ought to know better.

One of the traits of a 4x4 i guess - higher vehicle, more weight, wide tyres in the wet/damp = less chance of stopping in time. Glad you're ok - but I hope they hang her out to dry - lay it on REALLY thick and maybe this time next year you will have a decent insurance payout. Looks like a couple of grand there minimum (just for you) then there's the missus (4-5K total). Stop it out of her personal allowance - it looks like she can afford it!

Now get round the back and connect those disconnected brake lights back up!!!

Steve

ruskino80

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
i drove up there this morning into killinghall and the sun there is indeed a devil.glad your ok.
rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob

the long shadows cast into the picture of the photographer suggest the sun is low, and behind........so i guess sun in her eyes is reasonably plausible, but not excusable.

sorry to hear it anyway mr mook.
tom

Not if you look at the shadow, possibly of the photographer? the sun is behind him.

Hope you recover soon, as for the seats collapsing that would be the case hardened spaghetti.

smart51

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had a volvo estate pull out on me from a side street when I was cycling one time. I yelled "oi" so loud I startled myself and slapped the side of his car as hard as I could. He stopped pretty quickly and said "sorry, I didn't see you" as if that was quite acceptable. Some people eh?
Johnmor

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear everyones ok, an X5 is a serious piece of kit to get hit in the arse with.

On a very minor, and probably irritating point RTAs are now called RTCs,

The insuance industy dont like the term accident, Its always someones fault.!

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The sun was a real problem that morning - it's true and a regular thing at time of year. It's also true that there is usually a queue of traffic at that spot.

However I and many other motorists were able to safely negotiate the hazard

This driver - clearly unfamiliar (as she lives about 2 miles away) with the road just drove straight into us and has been said didn't even see us before hitting. so no skidding as no brakes were applied.

In my book that's careless driving but it's obviously not up to me

Cheers

Mark

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
Glad to hear everyones ok, an X5 is a serious piece of kit to get hit in the arse with.

On a very minor, and probably irritating point RTAs are now called RTCs,

The insuance industy dont like the term accident, Its always someones fault.!

RTC - Collision?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.