Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hooning on public roads....
speedyxjs

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Iv definately seen the first one on here before.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

locoboy

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
The first clip is driving from atcham near shrewsbury on what is commonly known as the 'racetrack' through to buildwas near Ironbridge.

ATB
Locoboy

locoboy

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
COCK in the second clip.
I hope he gets it all wrong and does HIMSELF a serious injuy, people like that dont deserve to be on the road endangering my family.

ATB
Locoboy

iiyama

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Dont see much wrong with the first clip, second one is driving like a t**t though.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

dogwood

posted on 6/4/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add my bit.

I have noticed these cars appear to be going faster than they actually are.
On 3 occasions now I have been waved at to slow down.
One really aggressive old fart shouting at me, telling me what an idiot I am
On all 3 occasions I was BELOW the speed limit.
I think the sound of the engine makes it seem faster than it is.

Not that I'm inocent at all times, but in a 30 I stick to 30.
It's not neccacarly the speed you are doing, but how quickly you get to that speed.

And to answer the poll.
No I would never post a vid if I thought it could get me into trouble.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

aka Keith

posted on 6/4/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
there is a time and a place for everything, and by the law of the lowest common denomiator, you will always get a few silly solds.

I recently posted a video of my little hoon, but I stick to 30;s 40's adn 50's. at the NSL. I take my own limits as the deciding factor.

[Edited on 6/4/09 by aka Keith]

idl1975

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Except you can see much, much more on the bike, and if you mis-time an overtake you can go between the two cars.

As someone else said, clip a curb (or even find a patch of dirt when you aren't expecting it) and it would all go very wrong very quickly. Nothing wrong with enjoying one's kit car, but some sense has to be used. The first guy had no run off and was far too fast past blind turn outs. What do you do if you come round a corner and there's a tractor in front of you doing 5 mph? Or a lorry pulling out of a farm gate? How about a cyclist or a horse rider actually daring to use a public road (shock, horror, sarcasm)? There are roads (admittedly not many in metropolitan areas) where you can do a bit of hooning and the only potential damage is going to be to you and the road furniture. In which case, game on.

But in any other situation, you have to control your speed so you can stop in time. The first driver, at least, wouldn't have been able to in any number of situations. A kit is more than heavy enough to kill a pedestrian, other "vulnerable road user" or someone in another car. I don't they'd be happy to be the victim of someone else's accident.

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Whilst the first vid, the blue car, does one or two silly things, if you watch it with the sound off, it's not all that bad. He generally has good sight lines, slows down for junctions and his overtakes are on nice straight bits of road. I take it you lot have never seen bikers out on the roads? They would make that run look like Driving Miss Daisy.

Edited to say that BECs always seem/sound like they are going much faster than they actually are. I have had old folks waving their arms at me when I was only doing 20 mph though a village! And I was in 3rd at the time.

[Edited on 5/4/09 by DIY Si]

DaveFJ

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest....

I think there is a bit too much 'holier than thou' going on!

didnt have much problem with the first vid.. a couple of moments that were a bit silly and not sure exactly where the donuts were... but then i dont know the road...

the second one... a few more silly moments than the first.. but on the most part i dont have a problem with it....I do think it looks a lot fatser than it actually is!

I did a vid myself this weekend as it was the first drive out and, although i know i was actually driving very sensibly!, the vid makes it look sooo much faster!

[Edited on 6-4-09 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

hobzy

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idl1975
Except you can see much, much more on the bike, and if you mis-time an overtake you can go between the two cars.

As someone else said, clip a curb (or even find a patch of dirt when you aren't expecting it) and it would all go very wrong very quickly. Nothing wrong with enjoying one's kit car, but some sense has to be used. The first guy had no run off and was far too fast past blind turn outs. What do you do if you come round a corner and there's a tractor in front of you doing 5 mph? Or a lorry pulling out of a farm gate? How about a cyclist or a horse rider actually daring to use a public road (shock, horror, sarcasm)? There are roads (admittedly not many in metropolitan areas) where you can do a bit of hooning and the only potential damage is going to be to you and the road furniture. In which case, game on.

But in any other situation, you have to control your speed so you can stop in time. The first driver, at least, wouldn't have been able to in any number of situations. A kit is more than heavy enough to kill a pedestrian, other "vulnerable road user" or someone in another car. I don't they'd be happy to be the victim of someone else's accident.

quote:
Whilst the first vid, the blue car, does one or two silly things, if you watch it with the sound off, it's not all that bad. He generally has good sight lines, slows down for junctions and his overtakes are on nice straight bits of road. I take it you lot have never seen bikers out on the roads? They would make that run look like Driving Miss Daisy.

Edited to say that BECs always seem/sound like they are going much faster than they actually are. I have had old folks waving their arms at me when I was only doing 20 mph though a village! And I was in 3rd at the time.

What do you do if there is a tractor coming out of a side turning if you are doing 60? He clearly knew the first road very well, so probably had more chance of spotting a potential hazard than you or I in our tintop on our first go down that road. Everything going the other way seemed to be pretty near the NSL AFAICT...

MikeRJ

posted on 6/4/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Dont see much wrong with the first clip, second one is driving like a t**t though.

The manoeuvre on the roundabout at ~4:42, and then doing donuts on a junction with a major road were pretty bloody stupid IMO.

DIY Si

posted on 6/4/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
So what difference does it make what he's driving then? I'd rather someone pull out on me in the Indy than any other vehicle I have access to. It will out brake, out accelerate and out manoeuvre 99% of things on the road. If I've decided I'm off for a brisk run, I'd rather do it in the most suitable car I own. Besides which, I don't think he was going much above 80 which is pretty much what I limit myself to, and I would have no problems doing that speed on that road if I knew it as well as the driver clearly does.
Also, those that have their cars on the road, can you honestly say you have never ever looked down and thought "Ooppps, the speedo says 90-100. Best slow down a bit"?

quote:
Originally posted by idl1975

quote:

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

DIY Si

posted on 6/4/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Also, those that have their cars on the road, can you honestly say you have never ever looked down and thought "Ooppps, the speedo says 90-100. Best slow down a bit"?

Its not exactly the speeds that are the issue - especially when it comes to the 2nd video. Its the numerous completely stupid undertakes and weaving around cars thats completely stupid.

Fair enough on the 2nd vid, although my comments were meant to be about the first. The 2nd vid IS too much for the road. As said, it would quite possibly get you a ban if spotted!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

mk_xe

posted on 10/4/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
As well as mk i also cycle on road.

I try to bear this in mind when driving, Slow moving bicyles can appear very quickly on hte apex you're expecting to use.

JoelP

posted on 12/4/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt think the second vid was that bad, though i didnt watch in detail. Worst part IMHO was the foolish laughing and that bit going round the roundabout, the driver clearly wasnt taking what he was doing seriously. The undertaking seemed acceptable to me as there was enough speed difference that the people being passed didnt have much chance to suprise him. Bit like how its much easier to walk through a crowded shopping centre if you walk a lot faster than everyone else. Slight misuse of speed in the residential zones too. Combined with his attitude would worry me. Nowt wrong with the dual carriage way work though, indeed i thought he hesitated too much on the roundabouts. Maybe not familiar with them.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.