Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What cordless drill?
eccsmk

posted on 13/6/09 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
bosch 14.4 li-ion
screwfix have them on special offer with 3 batteries.

after destroying 2 dewats drills (nylon gears)
i moved to bosch
altho i now have a ryobi 14.4 aswell because i left the bosch kits at home and neede it on site

heres the bosch one

martyn_16v

posted on 14/6/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I got the Makita twinpack from B+Q towards the end of last year to replace my DeWalt that got nicked. I only went to B+Q because the drill got nicked on a Saturday and I needed one for a job on Sunday, so glad I did. It is an absolute effin pleasure having two drills, saves me so much time on most jobs not having to continually swap bits over, just have one set up as pilot drill and the other as driver and whizz through the lot

RoadkillUK

posted on 15/6/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I bought a DeWalt cordless and corded drill recently from Screwfix when it was on offer, cost me £60.

I've only ever bought cheap drills before but these don't slow down when under stress.

FYI, they are in again at £59.99, can't find the code, but they are on display in the Bradford store.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 15/6/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
DeWalt is just rebranded Black and Decker stuff with a 100% extra added for the privaledge...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

eccsmk

posted on 15/6/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
DeWalt is just rebranded Black and Decker stuff with a 100% extra added for the privaledge...

good point
i only found this out when i borrowed a friends chopsaw(dewalt) and it has black and decker stamped all over it

PaulBuz

posted on 16/6/09 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Just to be different, I have an Erbauer Combi drill

Built incredibly well, metal gearbox (you can even use it as a manual screwdriver to give screws an extra nip). Batteries last for ages too, and its supplied with 2 and a fast charger.

Nicely weighted and balanced too. Fraction od the dewalt/makita price. A lot of the dewalt/makita price is badge.

One of these

David

Have to disagree David.
I had 3 of those erbauer drills. ( all in same year under warranty)
In the end I went to Dewalt.
There is simply no comparison.
That said, I do HAMMER my drills almost every day & the dewalt is 3-4 times the price.

If its for occasional DIY the erbauer will be ok

ATB
Paul

Steve Hignett

posted on 16/6/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have:
an 18v Bosch (going strong after a couple years hammer)
a pair of 14.4v Makita's (3 batteries)
and two cheaper ones... I just hate having to swap/change bits/ends/burrers etc mid job.

It's the same reason I have 3 Grinders (one with a 1mm cutting disc, one grinder and one lap/flap/polishing disc) Just so much quicker and easier... One's a black and decker and the other two are cheaper and not used as often...

Fred W B

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, in the case of the small grinders they are so cheap now that if you compare the cost of your time (at what you usually earn or charge out your time at) you only have to save the time you might spend changing the discs in a weekend in the garage to pay for the next grinder.

I have 4 grinders under the bench (all plugged in) and 4 drill drivers (all Bosch 14.4's) on the bench so what ever you have in the vice you can just reach down and grab the right tool to cut/metal finish/deburr/derust/drill/screw/countersink etc as required

In the rightmost drill you can see that I cut a 1/4" socket set extension down so that I could secure it in the chuck and then easily swap any 1/4" drive socket or attachment onto it.

Cheers

Fred W B

drills
drills

[Edited on 16/6/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Stuart_B

posted on 16/6/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
wow, that is away of doing it 4 drills and 4grinders. i have one corded drill, one air and one cordless drill.

which is a 14.4v drill with 2batteries from BnQ, not sure on the make, but i use it and think it is ok, but do not do the amount of work every one else.

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

dhutch

posted on 19/6/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
While we're on topic. Where are people buying power tools from at the moment.

I've used 'tooledup.com' a number of times for gear in the past, but screwfix is always very good on price to and can collect in person. Any other suggestons/thoughts.

Looking at buying dad one.

Daniel

[Edited on 19/6/2009 by dhutch]

fesycresy

posted on 19/6/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used to buy all our power tools from local suppliers, usually when we killed one of the old ones. More recently I have been using Screwfix and Tooled-up, only buying off either when they have their hot deals.

As a side note, look on Hot Deals UK and people post up Screwfix 10% voucher codes. Just bought a Dewalt chop saw today from Screwfix, their deal of the week, from £299 to £149.

In my opinion, the better quality drills cost the money. The cheaper Dewalts must be badged, it seems like Black and Decker, who also bought Elu, which were a good brand. Some Elu batteries fit Dewalts.

We absolutely paste our tools and it's the higher end Dewalt's and Makita's that survive. I have a big 24v Dewalt cordless and use it for diamond cutting 5" holes, it is the bollox.

All drills (even the litium ion ones) still fail the scaffold test, 4 lifts up, forgot the toe boards and you feel the nudge against your boot

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
You need one of these.

dhutch

posted on 19/6/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Currently look at these three. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52265/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-6261DWPE-9-6V-Cordless-Drill-Driver

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/76475/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/DeWalt-DC756KA-12V-Cordless-Drill-Driver

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21623/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/BOSCH-GSR-12-23-12V-Cordless-Drill-Driver#

The bosch is the most expensive, but also the only one ive used first hand and the only one with three batterys (not really needed for the app).

Makita is a 9.6v over a 12v, but cheaper with it. Not a fan of DeWalt generally but its fairly cheep, and is the only one of the three with a 13mm chuck which can be usefull.

Also one rogue in there with the Lithium, but im not sure i can stand the lead time if its for fathers day. (never done anything for it before, but sod it, first for everything!)
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=163557

Also this seams a steal. To the extent i might buy it for me. But will check ukhotdeals too.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/basket.asp

Daniel

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.