Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What engine?
franky

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
as above, a zx10r would be a good choice as there's plenty around and as plenty were raced its a well known motor.

I'd broaden your search areas too as away from the forum you can pick one up for about half what they get advertised at.

Good luck with the search!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
how would you be dissapointed with a bec after driving an esprit???

two completely different vehicles.....and the lotus doesnt have a flappy paddlle thing

I am the biggest fan of bike engine cars,Ive had a injection fireblade one,and a 2007 zx10r,and zx10r turbo,and Ive driven other car engined and bike engined sevens over the years,but I think people get carried away with how quick they think they are,and can be disappointed after coming from fast road cars,its easy to impress people with the rapid accelleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.
A S2000 engine seven will out accellerate any BEC over the 1/4 mile,and then go on to over 150mph.
Put a passenger in the BEC and the extra weight would make the difference even greater,put a passenger in the CEC and it would make no significant difference.
The main reason I think he might be disappointed, is that his old esprit would easily out accellerate any BEC from 80mph onwards up to its 165mph top speed,but if he had a seven with a powerfull 240bhp car engine fitted it would feel considerably quicker than his esprit up to and well beyond 80mph.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

progers

posted on 7/5/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Where in this country can you experience the "better acceleration after 80mph" legally?

On the road, the BEC will give far more exhilarating experience (acceleration wise) than a powerful road car. On track it will be much quicker than the Esprit where braking, cornering speed and acceleration out of corners matters much more than outright speed down the straight.

Santa pod 1/4 mile sprints is the only place where you might find the BEC losing out to a more powerful CEC. A S2000 seven will be quicker in this type of scenario but on a track there will be very little in it due to the extra weight of the S2000 car, even though it has 40+ more HP.

I regularly do trackdays in my ZX12r car and blow away 400hp Nissan nutter barges and Porsche GT3s all day long.

So in summary, go BEC and enjoy

- Paul

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 7/5/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Don't assume the Busa will be too expensive, although they were £2500 last year I picked one up complete off eBay for £1120 earlier this year!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

spiderman01980

posted on 7/5/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
MK indy with zx12 and power commander!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9V6vwr9NhU&feature=PlayList&p=D72F5F276F6DCAC4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=8

scootz

posted on 7/5/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
It's easy to impress people with the rapid acceleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.

What??? BEC's can go faster than 70/80mph???

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 7/5/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I am the biggest fan of bike engine cars. I've had a injection Fireblade one and a 2007 zx10r and zx10r turbo and I've driven other car engined and bike engined sevens over the years, but I think people get carried away with how quick they think they are and can be disappointed. After coming from fast road cars its easy to impress people with the rapid accelleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.

An S2000 engine seven will out accellerate any BEC over the 1/4 mile and then go on to over 150mph.
Put a passenger in the BEC and the extra weight would make the difference even greater. Put a passenger in the CEC and it would make no significant difference.
The main reason I think he might be disappointed, is that his old esprit would easily out accellerate any BEC from 80mph onwards up to its 165mph top speed,but if he had a seven with a powerful 240bhp car engine fitted it would feel considerably quicker than his esprit up to and well beyond 80mph.

I've owned both and I have to agree.

BEC's are only fun at full throttle... it just makes it soooo hard NOT to drive it like a tw*t. At least with a CEC you can go for a lazy weekend drive with your other half and not scare them half to death!

I also agree with the 'passenger-issue'... take an uninitiated passenger with you and they'll be scratching their head at all the fuss you've made!

It's Evolution Baby!

Davegtst

posted on 7/5/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Acceleration is what i am after. Not really bothered about top end speed at all, 130ish is plenty for me. This isn't about comparing it to the Esprit either, although they are nice cars and fairly quick they still weigh a fair bit compared to an MK bec. Spiderman that looks and sounds awesome! I remember watching some of those clips when i first started looking at kits, it was partly your video that made me want a bec.
adithorp

posted on 7/5/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
"...I also agree with the 'passenger-issue'... take an uninitiated passenger with you and they'll be scratching their head at all the fuss you've made!..."

I'm sure one of the people I gave a ride to at weekend, will be along soon to confirm how "slow" my car is when 2up... when they recover thier senses!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

INDY BIRD

posted on 7/5/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
hi all bec are fun get any of the fore mentioned engines, when you get bored stick a turbo kit on and experience a completely new era of performance,

i have had a std bird a zx12 , zzr1100,
vauxhaul red tops, 190 bhp pinto, zetec 160bhp.

and nothing comes close to a bec turbo,

good luck with the purchase

dean100yz

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
hi all bec are fun get any of the fore mentioned engines, when you get bored stick a turbo kit on and experience a completely new era of performance,

i have had a std bird a zx12 , zzr1100,
vauxhaul red tops, 190 bhp pinto, zetec 160bhp.

and nothing comes close to a bec turbo,

good luck with the purchase

Couldnt have said it better myself

Will know in a month

TimC

posted on 8/5/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
Where in this country can you experience the "better acceleration after 80mph" legally?

On the road, the BEC will give far more exhilarating experience (acceleration wise) than a powerful road car. On track it will be much quicker than the Esprit where braking, cornering speed and acceleration out of corners matters much more than outright speed down the straight.

Santa pod 1/4 mile sprints is the only place where you might find the BEC losing out to a more powerful CEC. A S2000 seven will be quicker in this type of scenario but on a track there will be very little in it due to the extra weight of the S2000 car, even though it has 40+ more HP.

I regularly do trackdays in my ZX12r car and blow away 400hp Nissan nutter barges and Porsche GT3s all day long.

So in summary, go BEC and enjoy

- Paul

I'm with you all the way but your car is hardly the best yardstick is it 'Mr Wayne?'

On track there's no contest. For road driving, the way things are these days (with progressive driving frowned upon by the authorities and society,) I'd run a X-flow and A539s and go for the classic feel - I appreciate that I'll be in the minority on this!

Peteff

posted on 8/5/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a V8 and bike engine. Moto Guzzi V8 .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

progers

posted on 9/5/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

I'm with you all the way but your car is hardly the best yardstick is it 'Mr Wayne?'

True, but it was much the same when I had an R1 Indy :-) Its amazing how slow those old barges can be....

I can appreciate that some people might prefer CEC to BEC for a road car, in many respects they are a better compromise if most of your miles are by road . For out an out thrills and performance though, BEC just can't be beat (at least in the bang for your buck stakes)

Paul

[Edited on 9/5/10 by progers]

Davegtst

posted on 10/5/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Think i'm going to hold out for the zx12r.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.